1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

מבלי נדחך

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by Isidore Demsky, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Isidore Demsky Senior Member

English
    Could מבלי נדחך be translated "not driven out"?

2. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    Are you picking random word combinations, or saw this somewhere? If the latter, please provide context.

3. Isidore Demsky Senior Member

English
    What I would like to know is whether it would be grammatically incorrect to use these two words together in a sentence, such as:

עמלק מבלי נדחך

Would that be one (grammatically correct) way of saying Amalek was not driven out, or have I committed an error in syntax here?

4. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    That would mean `Amaleq without (or: was/is not) your (sic: not you're) [place of being?] driven out. Doesn't sound grammatical. Suffix ך of נדחך makes it 2nd body.

You may get better answer by explaining what you're trying to achieve.

5. Isidore Demsky Senior Member

English
    Thank you.

So נדחך is 2nd person?

Does it mean banished (driven out), or place of banishment?

And is מבלי second person?

If I wanted to say that some displaced people weren't your displaced people, would it be grammatically correct to say מבלי נדחך?

P.S. נדחך is plural, right?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  6. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    So נדחך is 2nd person? Yes, see for example Deuteronomy 30:4.
    Does it mean banished (driven out), or place of banishment? נדח is usually an adjective, yet in the two locations where נדחך appears in the Bible it looks like a noun
    And is מבלי second person? מבלי doesn't have personality or plurality. It's sort of adverb
    נדחך is plural, right? No, it's singular. Plural would be נדחכם / נדחיכם / נדחיך (depending on whether your is plural or נדח is plural or both)

If I wanted to say that some displaced people weren't your displaced people, would it be grammatically correct to say מבלי נדחך? This is too archaic, the use of מבלי here is questionable, please explain if / why would you want to write in pre-Biblical (or early Biblical, or intentionally peculiarly Biblical) style?