1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

מקשרים

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by airelibre, Jul 8, 2013.

1. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    The Hebrew translation of the book "The Thread" by Victoria Hislop is named חוטים מקשרים. At first glance, I thought this was חוטים מקושרים -connected threads- but they make a point of adding a patach under the kuf (no other nikud), presumably in order to avoid confusion, even if that's a confusion different to my own, of מקושרים.

Question: What does מקשרים mean in this context?

2. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    (that are/is) connecting/tied/intertwined.

3. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Thought so, thanks.

4. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    ו (waw) for "u" or "o" is seldom omitted in Modern Hebrew spelling with no niqqud, so a native is not likely to assume it's מקושרים. Actually there's no other good alternative and therefore niqqud is not definitely required. I guess they wanted to avoid reading it as מִקְּשָרִים = from ties.

5. ystab Senior Member

Hebrew
    I prefer "linking," but I guess it's a matter of style. :)

6. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    That doesn't work so well in the context: the title relates to tapestries that are sewn by some of the women and girls living in Salonika, so the threads are to do with the tapestries. I don't know how I'd best translate it back to English, but I get the idea.

7. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    linking would be קישור, חיבור as in making a connection between things, that they do not stand alone but affect each other.
    To link (events) is לקשור אירועים.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013