1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

שבורות / broken

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by Finland, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Finland Senior Member

Finland
    finnois
    Hello!

I have a question about the Hebrew word for "broken". For example, broken wings or כנפיים שבורות.

In English, "broken wings" can mean either "wings that someone broke" or "wings that broke (by themselves)". English doesn't make a distinction between these two, but for example my mother tongue does, as does Arabic, for example.

How about Hebrew? Can שבורות mean both "that someone broke" and "that broke (by itself)", or just one of these?

I hope my question is understandable,
    thank you all in advance,

S

2. ystab Senior Member

Hebrew
    שבורות is a state, and can mean either "that someone broke" or "that broke (by itself)". I think that in Arabic it's the same: مكسورة (maksura) can mean either.

3. Finland Senior Member

Finland
    finnois
    Hello!

Ok, thank you. In Arabic, مكسور in principle means strictly speaking "that someone broke", whereas the other meaning would be expressed with منكسر, although it is true that people may use مكسور in the reflexive/passive sense as well.

Thank you in any case for clarifying the point for me as far as Hebrew is concerned.

S

4. ystab Senior Member

Hebrew
    منكسر, as far as I know, refers to something that is breaking - أجنحة منكسرة is breaking wings. Its equivalent in Hebrew is נשבר.

اسم المفعول of wazn فَعَلَ is equivalent to the form of פעול in Hebrew. Examples: مفتوح and פתוח, or مكتوب and כתוב/רשום, and of course مكسور and שבור.