1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

أما لهذا الليل من فجر؟ أما آن لهذه الامة أن تعرف غايتها؟

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Hadi-M, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Hadi-M New Member

Malaysia
    English & Malay
    Can you help me in translating this sentence? I face some difficulties in translating it.

ولكن أما لهذا الظلام من آخر؟ أما لهذا الليل من فجر؟ أما آن لهذه الامة أن تعرف غايتها، وتهتدى إلى تريقها؟ أما آن لها ان نجمع كلمتها لتقتل عدوها، بدل أن يضرب بعضها رقاب بعض؟

2. AndyRoo Senior Member

London
    English
    Please see forum rule 4, re titles.

Anyway, a possible translation is:

But does this darkness not have an end? Does this night not have a dawn? Has not the time come for this nation to know its aims and find its way? Has not the time come to unite with one voice to kill the enemy, instead of killing each other?

PS it should be طريقها and not تريقها

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  3. Tensor78 Senior Member

U.S. English
    Great translation. However, I'm new and I have a question. In the first two sentences, why the "min" before the subjects? Is this written in MSA or a dialect?

Thanks.

4. Hadi-M New Member

Malaysia
    English & Malay
    Thanks for your reply, and I'm sorry for my mistake. Newbie :)

5. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Partitive min. See Wright, vol. II, pp. 135 sqq.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  6. Tensor78 Senior Member

U.S. English
    Thanks; you're very knowledgeable.

Would you mind taking a look at a question I asked in response to one of your posts here (post #12)?

7. barkoosh Senior Member

Beirut
    Arabic
    I'm not good at those English translations of Arabic grammar terms, but it seems to me that "partitive min" is من التبعيضية. If "Wright, vol. II, pp. 135 sqq." refers to this page of Wright (page 135 to the right), then the "partitive min" would be REM a. As for the min in أما لهذا الظلام من آخر؟ أما لهذا الليل من فجر؟, I think it's the min of REM b, which "means not at all, not one".

8. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Thank you. I think Barkoosh has given a good answer to that question in his last posting in the other thread. But do ask again, if it is not clear.

9. Hadi-M New Member

Malaysia
    English & Malay
    May I ask something? What are the full terms for MSA and REM?

10. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    A good question.

REM is Wright's abbreviation for "Remark".

MSA is Modern "Standard" Arabic (but is there really such a thing?)

11. Hadi-M New Member

Malaysia
    English & Malay
    Don't know. But for my language(Malay), the government always updating new words each year.

For me, language must be dynamics. Change along with the time. But their history need to be protected.

By the way, thanks for all of your replies. I got new informations from this forum :)