1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

إباحة vs إباحية

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Andrew___, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Andrew___

Andrew___ Senior Member

Does anyone know whether there is any connection between these words? They seem to have very different meanings.

إباحة= disclosure
    إباحة= toleration/passive consent
    إباحية= promiscuity

I know that Arabic words can have many different meanings, but sometimes there are meaningful linguisitc explanations behind the variances. I wonder if this is the case here.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    I think it's like the difference between the French words "liberte" (freedom) and "libertinage"=libertinism/debauchery.

Both word إباحة - إباحية come from the verb أباح = made available, permitted. Each new letter added to the root, adds a different meaning.

Maybe others have a better explanation.

3. djamal 2008 Senior Member

arabic
    أباح as I understand would be to allow something to be done with impunity, that is, without incurring any risk of being punished in case he/she commits acts usually not tolerated but, sometimes, even encouraged. The exemples are abundant in politics, unfortunatly.

4. Andrew___

Andrew___ Senior Member

Hi Cherine,

May I ask, have you ever seen the word إباحة to mean "passive consent"?

For example, if a person remains silent when they have an obligation or right to speak up?

5. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    No, Andrew, not that I can remember.
    أباح is commonly used in legal terminology: أباح القانون كذا the adjective is mubaa7: نقل الأعضاء مباح حسب القانون/وِفقاً للقانون (or غير مباح ).

A person who remains silent is a person who التزم الصمت .

6. djamal 2008 Senior Member

arabic
    أباح؛

It could well mean to legitimize which is different than legalize.

But, in laymen's terms it could mean allow, tolerate or even indulge depending on the context, that is.

7. Andrew___

Andrew___ Senior Member

Oh I see, thanks Jamal for this clarification, I think I understand now what this word means.