1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

الأخضر واليابس

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by eric489, Jul 6, 2013.

1. eric489 Senior Member

French
    Hi,

I recently heard this expression. Not sure if it's an idiom or just a phrasing used by the speaker, but it definetly caught my attention.

Does it mean to destroy everything ?

2. Crimson-Sky

Crimson-Sky Senior Member

بلاد بابل - Babylonia
    Arabic-العربية
  3. eric489 Senior Member

French
    Yes. sorry for the typo. It was around 3 am when I posted this :D

4. abdalhamid Senior Member

Palestine
    Arabe
    اكل الاخضر و اليابس Oui c'est une expression arabe et ça veut dire qu'il a détruit tout . Non seulement , mais aussi ça veut dire qu'il a mangé tout ou il a contrôlé tout .

5. eric489 Senior Member

French
    What is the difference in using اكل الاخضر و اليابس and أتى على الاخضر و اليابس"
    I can see the meaning with the first phrasing. He ate the green and the fresh, he completely ravaged it. whereas I don't necessarily see the meaning with the second one (he came on the green and fresh?)
    Maybe inferring "He came (to destroy) the green and fresh/lush"

6. Finland Senior Member

Finland
    finnois
    Hello!

Actually أتى على is a phrasal verb meaning (amongst others) finish off, eliminate.

HTH
    S

7. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Just a little correct: اليابس is the dry, not the fresh. So, you can imagine a group/swarm (?) of locust or grasshopper invading a place and totally ravaging it, eating the green and the dry. And I actually think this is the origin of the expression, which is also often used to describe the result of such attack:
    هاجم الجراد المدينة/القرية وأتى على الأخضر واليابس
    or
    وأكل الأخضر واليابس.

It is also commonly used with wars, because they destroy everything.