1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

الحضارة الكسروية

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Huda, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Huda Senior Member

arabic-Egypt
    Please help me.
    Would anyone please help me translate the underlined word:

وفي الحضارات القديمة كان الرق عماد نظام الإنتاج والاستغلال، وفي بعض تلك الحضارات – كالفرعونية المصرية والكسروية الفارسية

Thanks in advance.

2. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    English does't refer to the Persian dynasties as 'Khosrau-an' as far as I'm aware. It's strange even in Arabic!

3. Tracer

Tracer Senior Member

Wadi Jinn
    American English
  4. Huda Senior Member

arabic-Egypt
    what shall I do then?

5. Huda Senior Member

arabic-Egypt
    the link does not include the adjective I'm looking for.

6. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    '- such as the Ancient Egyptian and Sassanid civilizations - '
    I believe it's inaccurate to equate 'Egyptian' with 'Pharoanic' because they initially called their rulers 'kings' and the 'Pharoah' title came later.
    So it's best to use each civilisations most accurate name.

7. Tracer

Tracer Senior Member

Wadi Jinn
    American English
    That's because it doesn't exist. Neither in English nor Arabic.

The author of your quote above simply added the nisba ending to the proper name and came up with الكسروية . In English, the equivalent would be, as Iskandrani advised, 'Khosrau-an', but that's simply a made up word which no one would normally understand. Iskandrani again mentioned that even in Arabic it sounds strange. That's because in both English and Arabic, it's a made-up word. So you really can't use it.

The problem lies, I believe, in the original text which gives the impression that the Khosrau Kings had a separate and individual civilization APART FROM the Persian civilization. That's simiply not true. The Khosrau Kings were part and parcel of a wider and long established Persian civilization.

There's no such thing as "the Khosrau Civilization" (which your author would disagree with).

So what should you do? You could simply use: "The Khosrau Civilization" and hope that your readers will 1. understand it....and 2. will accept it. Or you could say something like: "the Khosrau Dynasty" or "Persian civilization under the Khosrau Kings"........something like that.

8. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    In English we would say "the Sasanians".

9. Tracer

Tracer Senior Member

Wadi Jinn
    American English
    Yes, that's the name of the Persian civilization we're talking about. If you wanted to specify a particular set of kings during this period, you could say:

"The Sassanian Khurasau Kings". (note the double "s" in Sassanian).

10. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Tracer, there is no reason for that to be the intention of the original text - it's just more common in Arabic literature to refer to a people by the name of their leader's dynasties, or by tribe, rather than the empire's location. The issue here is that in English, Pharoanic is widely used, but for some reason 'Khosrau-an' isn't.

In English I believe it's the Sassanids not the Sassanians. You could always ask on the English forum :)

11. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    In English you can find both Sas(s)anians and Sa(s)anids: four options all together.

Arabic and Pahlavi Sāsān does not have a doubled s.

12. Tracer

Tracer Senior Member

Wadi Jinn
    American English
    No need to get "sassy" (original Persian word). ;)

I could go to the English forum, but I prefer Wikipedia which says (in part):

The Sassanian Empire or Sassanid Persian Empire (pronounced /sæˈseɪniən/, /ˈsæsənɪd/; also spelled Sasanid or Sasanian),

13. Huda Senior Member

arabic-Egypt
    empire or civilization? it is حضارة in the Arabic text

How about tracer's suggestion "Persian civilization under the Khosrau Kings"?

The article in this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sassanid_Empire says that the founder of the Sassanid empire was Ardashir. it has nothing to do with Khosrau.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  14. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    There were two Sasanian emperors by the name of Khusraw (Chosroes, in Arabic: Kisrā). The mediaeval Arabic historians used the word kisrā كسرى as a common noun to mean “the Sasanian emperor” in the same way that they used qayṣar (Caesar) قيصر to mean “the Byzantine emperor”. This usage is historically not correct, but it became well established.

15. Crimson-Sky

Crimson-Sky Senior Member

بلاد بابل - Babylonia
    Arabic-العربية
    Ancient Egypt and ancient Persia (Sassanid period).
    ..some of those civilizations were : Ancient Egypt and ancient Persia (Sassanid period).

16. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Yes, Huda. You don't need to translate this literally, it's just the author's liberal naming of other civilisation. It's the first time I read الحضارة الكسروية. Just go for Persian civilisation, and every English speaker who'll read your translation will understand what you're talking about.