1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

بئر من الذهب

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Janulka, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Janulka Senior Member

Czech
    Hello,
    could you please help me to translate this expression into English (or any other European language):

كان ثمنها بئر من الذئب.. بئر قبيح المنظر.

It comes from a Yemeni short story by Muhammad Abdulwali. The context is following: After a long time the narrator saw his beloved woman, she smiled and he saw that instead of her teeth there was gold in her mouth. He was surprised and sad....

Thank you!

2. hzaben New Member

arabic
    can you write the complete sentence in Arabic please ? is it الذئب or الذهب

3. Janulka Senior Member

Czech
    [h=1]كان ثمنها بئر من الذئب, بئر قبيح المنظر[/h]hope it's readable this way:)

4. Janulka Senior Member

Czech
    I see it's not readable anymore once I saved it. Litteraly it's a "well of a wolf".

5. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    I agre with Hzaben that it would make more sense if the word was بئر من الذهب and this ذئب is a typo.

6. abdulwahid Senior Member

Nordic
  7. Janulka Senior Member

Czech
    Thank you, guys, nice brainstorming:)
    To me the gold makes much more sense than the wolf as well.
    Abdulwahid, that's exactly the story, I understand it this way: in her mouth there were golden teeth, something expensive, precious, but in reality it looked awful. How do you understand it?

8. abdulwahid Senior Member

Nordic
    To be honest I'm not sure how to understand it, but I didn't read the whole story.

9. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    If only we had that link earlier.

Now I can confirm that it's a typo. The text is full of them. It's definitely a بئر من الذهب : something expensive but ugly. And it's a strong contrast with her previous innocence and natural beauty.

10. Janulka Senior Member

Czech
    We got it! Thanks:)