1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

حُرمة

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by isabomma, Dec 2, 2012.

1. isabomma Junior Member

Italian
    Hi all,
    I am not sure it is the right word "7orma" (but this is what I heard) which, according to what I understood, it should mean "girl". It was a discussion between two Bedouins in Egypt.
    Can anyone confirm that?

If I was wrong, can anyone explain what does it mean?

Thanks

Isa

2. ahmedcowon Senior Member

حرمة means "woman" in Bedouin areas in Egypt, in other parts it also has the same meaning but considered rude
    it also means "wife"

7aram حرم means "wife" in MSA

3. isabomma Junior Member

Italian
    Thanks for the explanation.
    Now the question is, since it is the same root as 7aram/ حرام, which is kind of "sin": is there any relationship between the two words?

4. ahmedcowon Senior Member

"sin" means ذنب or إثم

7aram/حرام means "taboo"
    7aram/حرم means "sacred mosque" or "wife"

5. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    حرمة is a bit like a red line. للبيوت حرمتها.

6. isabomma Junior Member

Italian
    Sorryإشكندرانى but I don't understand your comment...
    My question was about the root and the relationship between the words ... I would say that 7aram / حرام doesn't really mean taboo but something not allowed or forbidden (like vs 7alal).
    And I've never heard حرمة outside of this reference to a girl or حرمة when speaking about a mosque or a wife.

7. Abu Talha

Abu Talha Senior Member

Urdu
  8. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Hi,

Coincidently, I saw a text from ألف ليلة today where a master's wife (or slave, not sure, I didn't read the whole story) was trying to seduce another man (probably a servant) and he was refusing, so he told her:
    الذي لمولاي يحرم عليّ أن أقربه and كل شيء كان للسيد فهو على العبد حرام
    I think this expresses the same idea, that a man's woman is prohibited to other men.

But I think using the word was gradually broadened to mean "woman" in general, and not necessarily a married woman. There's also the word حريم for "women" which was once used for "harem" (yes, I know "harem" is not a transliteration :) ) but you can find it used sometimes in general contexts like عربية الحريم (the women's wagon in metros in Egypt). Although many find this word rude, but it's definitely less rude than the singular. And I can't explain why.

9. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Be careful to distinguish between the different words derived from the root. 7araam is not the same as 7aram.
    السيدة فلانة حرم السيد فلان is not rude (though it is pronounced 7aram).
    The word broadly means a 'limit which should not be crossed'.
    My comment is a sentence للبيوت حرمتها 'houses have a حرمة'.
    By extension, the word is also used to refer to women in various contexts - since violating them is a transgression - but the etymology is not there in people's minds - it is just used to mean 'women'.

10. aisha93

aisha93 Senior Member

Arabic/Persian(larestani)
    It is worth mentioning that in Persian this word basically means (respect/honor حرمت), which is also the same in Turkish (hürmet)