1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

دزيريات

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Trella-man, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Trella-man Junior Member

Italian
    Hi guys I just wanted to ask you the meaning of this word, I think plural of دزيرى that I can't find in any dictionary. Little of context:
    "بين تيار المعارضة و تأييد لعمل المرأة قامت دزيريات باستطلاع في هذا الموضوع"
    Second question is, why I haven't found in any dictionary? Is it dialect?
    Thanks in advance

2. ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    It means ' Dzeriet magazine'

3. Tracer

Tracer Senior Member

Wadi Jinn
    American English
    As Ayed mentioned, it's the name of a magazine. To be precise, it's an Algerian women's fashion magazine.

Given the French influence in Algeria, the word itself is most likely an arabized form of the French noun "desir", [English "desire" - Italian "desiderio"]. Many foreign words taken over into Arabic very often are given the Arabic feminine plural ending ---aat and دزيريات
    is an example of this.

So to precisely answer your question, the word دزيريات means the plural "DESIRES".

Even Arabic speakers recognize French as being more "elegant" and "sophisticated" than their own language, having a certain "je ne sais quoi" element about it and so the French word was used instead of an Arabic word.

By the way, you can peer into this magazine's pages "ici":
    http://www.dzeriet.info/

4. fof Junior Member

nyc
    us english
    Hah, don't say that to Syrians.

5. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    ?!
    I completely disagree with your analysis; I think it's something much simpler.
    Algerians call Algeria الدزاير due to berber influence.
    So جزائريات becomes دزايريات

6. Tracer

Tracer Senior Member

Wadi Jinn
    American English
    You're probably right, إسكندراني . I admit, I was stretching my imagination somewhat.

Checking further, I see that the complete name of the magazine is: "DZeriet le magazine au féminin pluriel " which meshes in more closely with your interpretation.

So to answer Trella-man's original question:

دزايريات
    The name of a women's fashion magazine in Algeria. The name is colloquial Algerian for "Algerian Women" and the reason you can't find it in a dictionary is because it is a colloquial word.

[But I still like my interpretation better even though I know it's wrong]