1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

عروض التجارة

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Ibn Nacer, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Ibn Nacer Senior Member

French - France
    Hello,
    What is the meaning of the word عروض in عروض التجارة? Is it a plural ?

How would you translate this expression ?

Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  2. abdalhamid Senior Member

Palestine
    Arabe
    و عليكم السلام

عروض التجارة = des offres du commerce .

3. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    Yes, by itself and devoid of context, it would have the meaning of "offres du commerce". It can also have a very specialized meaning more related to "the profits of commerce" when the context is a discussion of the validity of paying zakaat based on عروض التجارة. In an article ("أدلة وجوب الزكاة في عروض التجارة") (http://ibn-jebreen.com/?t=books&cat=6&book=59&page=3142) mention is made that: "أليست عروض التجارة هي أغلب الأموال؟؟".
    Ibn Nacer, what is the full context in which you found the phrase عروض التجارة?

4. Ibn Nacer Senior Member

French - France
    Thank you for your answers.

The context is the Zakaat :
    الأموال التي تجب فيها الزكاة أربعة:ا
    ١- ...ا
    ٢- عروض التجارة : و هي كل ما يعد للتجارة.
    ا
    I think in French "marchandises", "biens destinés au commerce/ à la vente"...

In English I saw "trade goods" in http://islamqa.info/en/cat/475.

I think the word عَرُوض is the plural of عَرْض and عَرْض is the masdar of the verb عَرَضَ, what do you think?

PS: What is the verb يعد in و هي كل ما يعد للتجارة? Is the verb أعدَّ يُعِدّ or عَدَّ يَعُدّ ? I think it is the first but I would be safe.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  5. abdalhamid Senior Member

Palestine
    Arabe
    Oui , عرض est le singulier des عروض et que le masdar est du verbe عرض , mais pour le verbe يعد ca veut dire compter . donc cette phrase devient '' tous les offres commerciaux et toutes les choses qui comptent du commerce . Mais pour que vous sachiez , '' les marchandises '' = '' البضائع '' ,
    et '' les articles '' = السلع .

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  6. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    Yes, but it is عُرُوض (ʿurūḍ). I think that the English translation you mentioned ("trade goods") is probably the best translation in this particular context of zakaat, in the sense of possessions which are intended to be sold rather than kept for personal use:
    لا تجب الزكاة في أعيان منتجات الثروة النباتية ‏كالصمغ‏‏ ولكن إذا قصد بها التجارة فإنها تزكى زكاة عروض التجارة
    http://zakat.al-islam.com/Loader.aspx?pageid=367.

7. Ibn Nacer Senior Member

French - France
    Merci beaucoup. Si le sens est "compter" alors cela correspond au verbe عَدَّ يَعُدّ, c'est bien ça ? Mais je me demande si ce n'est pas le verbe أعدَّ يُعِدّ avec le sens de "...tout ce qui est destiné au commerce" (كل ما يعد للتجارة) ?

Thank you for the correction and confirmation.

8. Bakr Senior Member

Arabic
    Oui, c'est أَعَدَّ préparer, et dans ce contexte destiner.

9. Ibn Nacer Senior Member

French - France
    Merci pour la confirmation.