1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

عطلة عرضية

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Interprete, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Interprete Senior Member

French, France
    Hello,

Is this an 'occasional holiday' or a day-off taken because of an accident?

Thanks!

2. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    I don't know its equivalent in other languages, but it's when you take a day off without prior notice (like لا قدَّر الله when you wake up in the morning too sick to get up, or too late to be able to reach work on time) so you phone your boss and tell him you'll need to take the day off.

And أجازة عارضة (as we call it in Egypt) is just one day. If a person needs more days, then it's either [dis]counted from his yearly vacation days, or from his أجازات مرضية (sick leaves).

3. Crimson-Sky

Crimson-Sky Senior Member

بلاد بابل - Babylonia
    Arabic-العربية
    Hello everyone :)
    Why I think it should be "a day-off taken because of an accident" ? Well, "عرضية" is derived from "عَرَض" and thus should have the meaning of "casual", "temporary", "not lasting". "عطلة" on the other hand entails the idea of temporariness ; "عرضية" is added to "عطلة" to emphasize temporariness. To conclude, "عطلة عرضية" is something brief and its equivalent in Arabic must be "a day-off taken because of an accident".

4. Interprete Senior Member

French, France
    Thank you all! So it's like an unforeseen day off?

5. Interprete Senior Member

French, France
    Though the difference between a sick leave and an 'unforeseen leave' is unclear to me. I mean, usually a sick leave is taken after you fall ill, so your employer doesn't know until the morning you don't come, right?

6. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Yes, the difference is just technical.
    A sick leave can extend to more than one day. So we can say that if a person is sick, he can ask for a عطلة عرضية/ أجازة عارضة and if doesn't get better the next day, he'll need to provide a certificate from a doctor stating that he is indeed sick and needs X days off.

So workplaces do not have أجازة عارضة/عطلة عرضية and the unplanned one-day off is deduced from the workers sick leaves.

7. Crimson-Sky

Crimson-Sky Senior Member

بلاد بابل - Babylonia
    Arabic-العربية
    Didn't write my idea correctly, it should be : "and it could be an equivalent of "a day-off taken because of an accident".

8. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Crimson-Sky, in British English, the dash is not used, and your original sentence is fine.

'Accident' is a bad word to use because it doesn't include illness. But I think the original poster has understood the meaning of the phrase, which is what matters :)