1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

على + ضمير

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by jmt356, Jan 17, 2013.

1. jmt356 Senior Member

Would it be possible to confirm that
    على + ي =
    عليّ

If so, can anyone give the حركات of عليّ ?

I believe it is عَلَيَّ.

Or is it عَلَيِّ?

2. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    It's عليَّ

3. jmt356 Senior Member

Is there any logic to this? The ي sound is a long version of ِ. So why would عليّ en in a َ?

Would you also be able to confirm that:
    على + ها = عليها

4. dkarjala Senior Member

English - America
    Look at it in Latin script, and it might help. Basically the genitive of ana, -ii has two byforms: -ii and -ya. The latter is used when the pronoun suffix comes after 1) a long vowel or 2) the diphthongs ay-, aw- (and of course alif maqSuura, which is the case here). The reason is that the ancient form was actually -iya and was shortened to -iy/-ii over time, so the fatHa is actually 'coming back' when needed.

An example of this after a long vowel would by the phrase "my parents". Using the dual of والد we drop the nuun and use the -ya ending since it would be unpronounceable otherwise. والدايَ i.e., you couldn't say *waalidaaii

Yes, pronounced 'alayhaa.

5. jmt356 Senior Member

عليها is partially why I find عليَّ confusing. In Syria, the ه in عليها is not pronounced. So when I hear عليَّ, I think I am hearing عليها. That, plus I expect علي + ي to be عليِّ, which it is not.

6. dkarjala Senior Member

English - America
    I can understand that. Technically, the 'on me' form should be slightly different, in that there should be a shadda, but that isn't always the case.

As for your last confusion, be careful: the ending meaning 'my/me (after prep.)' is not -yi but just -iy. So you should 'expect' 'alayiy عليي(no shadda) not 'alayyi. Either way, it is awkward as heck...