1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

كان رجلاً لا يجود الزمان بمثله

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by mariu5, Jan 12, 2013.

1. mariu5 Junior Member

romanian
    In this phrase

كان رجلاً لا يجود الزمان بمثله

i don't understand anything. The translation is something like "he was a man like which it wasn't another along the time" (or, simply "he was unique along the time"). Has someone time to explain me this phrase grammatically, word by word ?

I suppose كان رجلاً is a nominal proposition ("he was a man"), with رجل in accusative, as always. It's ok.
    But farther ? The verb يجيد ( root U J D ) means "to find, to exist". But يجود ?? Why is vowel U instead of I ??
    The noun الزمان ("the time") is a subject here ? It seems to be so, but i can't understand the sense of the proposition.
    Also, why is necessary preposition BI in the construction بمثله ? The comparative of similitude use just the particle مثل (misla), without preposition BI. Or, the word مثل is, in fact, the noun "example" (masal) ?

I don't understand anything. This situation makes me cry.

2. Linolenic Senior Member

Arabic
    كان رجلًا is as you said "he was a man"
    يجود is from the root ج و د which means "to be generous/ to give"
    الزمان is a subject..
    بمثله because the particle after يجود is بـِ so the phrase يجود بـ means to be generous
    مثله = like him
    so the sentence means, he was a man that time (life) can not give a person like him..

3. mariu5 Junior Member

romanian
    You saved me! I have understood the phrase now. Thanks!

4. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    Some equivalent English phrases:

He was one of a kind.
    He was an incomparable man.
    He was a man unlike any other.
    He was a man whom we will never see the likes of again.

Or more faithfully to the Arabic:
    He was a man whom time will never bestow (upon us) the likes of again. <-- Somewhat poetic sounding, like I imagine the Arabic is.

5. mariu5 Junior Member

romanian
    Thank you!