1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

لو كل كلب عوى ألقمته حجراً لأصبح الصخر مثقالاً بدينار

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by azeid, Oct 19, 2009.

1. azeid Senior Member

Egypt مصر
    العربية
    السلام عليكم

لو كلُ كَلبٍ عَوى ألقَمْتَهُ حَجَراً ***** لأصبحَ الصَّخْرُ مِثْقَالاً بدينارِ

I am interesting to know how could we translate this poetic verse to English in the way that makes sense to the natives?Is there an English expression similar in the meaning to that one?
    Your help and support are really appreciated.Thanks in advance:).

2. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    لو كلُ كَلبٍ عَوى ألقَمْتَهُ حَجَراً
    لأصبحَ الصَّخْرُ مِثْقَالاً بدينارِ

If I have understood this right, then I would translate it as follows (in a less than literal manner):

If you can make every howling dog swallow a stone
    Then rocks shall acquire their weight in gold

So I'm wondering whether this means that if one can manage to shut up every barking dog (by making it swallow a stone), an impossibility as it is their nature to bark and howl , then one might as well expect common things like rocks to become precious. Another impossibility.

That would be like chasing a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, which is nothing more than going on a wild goose chase, and see pigs fly at the same time!

In other words, one is attempting the wholly impossible. Is this the idea?

May be it all means something quite different. But it was a good exercise.

I look forward to other contributions.

3. Ghabi

Ghabi Moderator

Cantonese (Hong Kong)
    My understanding is: if you're to gag a dog with stones whenever it barks, stones will become something precious (since tons of them have been used for gaging dogs, which bark all the time).

So it's like: ignore the critics, my friend, those guys have got nothing better to do than barking anyway!

4. shafaq Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    You have taken it as it must be.

By my translation it is something like this:
    "If you dare to throw up a stone to all the dogs barking; be sure rock will raise as gold."
    Don't waste your effort by responding critics because you can't attain on it !.

5. Ghabi

Ghabi Moderator

Cantonese (Hong Kong)
    Um, I think ألقمه حجراً is an idiomatic expression meaning "to gag", no?:confused:

6. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi

I see! So it is about the insatiable desire of critics to criticize! An impossibility - as I had imagined, but now the whole thing is clearer.

I cannot think of an English equivalent of this at the moment but you can something like:

You'll go blue in the face trying to silence a rabid critic!

-(i.e. a futile effort., so don’t bother)

7. shafaq Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    I can't claim the opposite; beside never did it !

8. azeid Senior Member

Egypt مصر
    العربية
    Thank you Shfaq,Faylasoof and Ghabi for you help.
    Yes,ghabi.you are right about your understanding and thanks for this expression you gave.

9. Ghabi

Ghabi Moderator

Cantonese (Hong Kong)
    By the way, is the saying interchangeable with مالقيت في الورد عيب قلت يا احمرخدين? Or are they used in different situations?

10. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    No, it's a totally different thing.
    If you're interested, please open a new thread for this expression. :)