1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ليت الشباب يعود يوماً

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by suma, Jul 26, 2006.

1. suma Senior Member

USA
    English, USA
    forgive me but it seems that your tag line is in error as well.
    shouldn't it be:

laita ash-shabab ya3udun yawman

(sorry I can't get Arabic fonts yet) but I mean that the verb there should be in plural form.

2. CarlosPerezMartinez Senior Member

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    Spain, Spanish
    Thank you all for your corrections in the difficult task of learning Arabic. But on this occasion I think my sentence is right. Shabab means youth and is singular. The sentence means something like "I wish youth will come back one day". Shabab can also be the plural of Shaabb (young man) but is a different word.
    Nevertheless I really appreciate your corrections. :thumbsup:

3. Arabelle Junior Member

Arabic
    No! The original poetic verse is:
    ألا ليت الشباب يعود يوما فأخبره بما فعل المشيبُ
    Was it
    [SIZE=-1]ايليا ابو ماضي who said it?

[/SIZE]

And shabaab is indeed used with a verb conjugated in singular, because it's jam3 takseer.

Can anybody confirm if the rule goes for all words of jam3 takseer?

4. abusaf Senior Member

Stockholm
    Sweden
    When I read CarlosperezMartinez signature line the first time, I also thought it was شباب i.e plural of شاب that was intended. However the verb confirmed that it wasnt.

No. Even when a word is جمع تكسير and is عاقل like شباب (pl of shaab), it is conjugated in plural.

Just like: الرجال يعرفون , we don't say الرجال يعرف .

However, the word intended in the poetry line is not plural and has another meaning.

5. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    Yes, the rules of any plural depend on what it refers to, regardless of what type of plural it is (i.e broken or sound). Plurals that refer to humans (عاقل ) will have the qualifying verb conjugated in the plural, whereas non-human plurals (غير عاقل ) are always qualified with the feminine singular conjugation of a verb.

6. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Am. English, Pal. Arabic (See profile)
    Carlos is right. الشباب here is singular because it means "youth" (the concept) and not "young men."

7. suma Senior Member

USA
    English, USA
    :eek: Oos my bad. you are all right (mostly, that bit on jam' takseer is off a little)

I must have overlooked the use of shabaab here being used as masdar.

8. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    It was Abu'l-3ataahia (an old poet) who said it :