1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ما دعا لله داع

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Paxos, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Paxos Junior Member

French
    In the islamic song طلع البدر علينا the passage ما دعى لله داع is translated in wikipedia by "Where the call is to Allah".

Is this translation faithful ? I can't understand the arabic phrase's construction and meaning !

I know it is hazardous to translate literally especially songs and poems, but the words دعا لِ) دَعى لِ according to my dictionary) mean to pray for, دَعا alone to call/invite and داعٍ is apostle/partisan or cause/reason. Am I missing other significations ?

Thank you

The song :

طلع البدر علينا
    من ثنيات الوداع
    وجب الشكر علينا
    ما دعى لله داع
    أيها المبعوث فينا
    جئت بالأمر المطاع
    جئت شرفت المدينة
    مرحبا يا خير داع

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  2. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    دعا لله can also mean دعا إلى الله (call to [people to the path of] God).

3. Paxos Junior Member

French
    So what is the meaning of the verb دعا (is the ألف مقصورة form in wikipedia incorrect ?) when it comes with ما ?
    If we had مَن دعا instead of ما دعا I could understand the beginning of the phrase.

And what is the meaning of the ending word داع and how does it articulate with the rest ?

Be the one who calls to Allah an apostle/partisan... Hmm no, that doesn't seem right.

Thank you

4. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    For [the fact that] a caller called [us] to [the way of] God.
    I think داع is the فاعل here. As for the spelling, I'm not sure whether it 'should' be spelt دعا or دعىٰ, does it matter? The نشيد was verbal in the first place.
    وجب الشّكر علينا ما دعى لله داع we should be thankful for the fact that a caller has come to guide us to God's path

5. rayloom Senior Member

Paris, France
    Arabic (Hijazi Arabic)
    ما here should be translated as "so long as" or something to that effect. It's like when we say ما تعاقب الليل والنهار.
    As for the spelling, it should be دعا.

6. suma Senior Member

USA
    English, USA
    I love that nasheed, and whoever did the English translation did a super great job!

7. uas60 Senior Member

English; Urdu; Student of Arabic/French
    Very helpful discussion, thank you. Just to pick on something mentioned specifically for clarity, could the ما be used for either of the two meanings:
    For [the fact that] a caller called [us]...
    So long as a caller called [us]...