1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

مرابط

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by newbienew, Nov 22, 2012.

1. newbienew Junior Member

English
    Hi,
    I have seen this word مرابط used a few times in the news recently to describe/address people.
    Is it like a greeting when addressing people?
    I have seen it used to describe like UN Troops who are مرابط stationed/positioned in a particular place, and an older sense meaning 'garrisoned' maybe because the soldiers are 'tied' to their horses ready to go into battle.

But here, I think it is a different (because it would sound weird to say 'stationed people'

I saw it in the news relating to Syrians/Palestinians/Jordanians so wondered if maybe it is a Levant meaning?

2. Kinan

Kinan Senior Member

Syria
    Arabic
    It is actually "stationed people", I don't see what's weird about this phrase.
    Don't forget in Islamic history there is the country of المرابطين which the capital of Morocco has got it's name from them.

3. newbienew Junior Member

English
    Hi Kinan,
    Thanks for replying on this.
    I think because the context was not 'soldiers' it seems to be addressing the general people, who might be 'fighting/resisting' against the government or something, or to defend themselves or their land against foreign powers.
    This is why I thought stationed might sound weird - Because normally it is soldiers who defend the people, or are stationed in a place, rather than the normal people themselves.

Have you heard it used like شعب مرابط before? And do you always think of the sense of 'stationed'?
    I wondered if it could translate as 'the protecting people', or 'people who are ready to defend/fight'?

4. barkoosh Senior Member

Beirut
    Arabic
    The word مرابط isn't limited to soldiers. See رابط here esp. under section 10.
    Googling the term could return results like:
    أبناء الشعب المرابطين في ساحات الحرية

Similar to "camp out".

5. Tracer

Tracer Senior Member

Wadi Jinn
    American English
    "Stationed people" may be a little far-fetched, but the term "stationed" is not limited to soldiers or troops. It's a very common term in the diplomatic corps. For example, you could say: "When my father was in the diplomatic service, we were stationed in about 20 different countries during his career." (I think the preferred term in British English would be "posted to" rather than "stationed in".)

In any case, "stationed in, positioned in, posted to" all imply that you were SENT to a location by the "government" in one capacity or another as part of your job. You weren't necessarily "FORCED" to go....being "stationed" overseas is part and parcel of your job so you should expect it. I've heard the term used for employees working for large, well known companies too, but it's not as common as with "government" employees.

However, you couldn't use the term for just normal living. If I quit my job today and go to work or to retire in Venice, for example, I couldn't say: "I've quit my job in the Middle East and am now stationed in Venice."

Whether these precise nuances of "stationed" work for "مرابط " in the same way, I don't know.

6. Tracer

Tracer Senior Member

Wadi Jinn
    American English
    Just a further note: If you've actually "seen" this item in print, a more precise English equivalent could be given if you presented the source here so the context would be clear.

If by "seen" you actually mean you "heard", well, I guess you can't give a printed source.

7. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    The best word is highly context-dependent. الرباط is battle or the state of readiness for it - often in a figurative sense. It is very much still in use; no need to delve into the depths of history.