1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

مرحبا

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by raful, Oct 15, 2013.

1. raful Junior Member

Hebrew
    Hello
    We all know the greeting - مرحبا
    Although ending with alif, why is the answer - مرحبتين?
    What's the origin of مرحبا given the fact the only the second form (رَحَّبَ) has the meaning of greeting (he greeted)?

2. shafaq Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    I think it is because of that Qur'anic order و اذا حييتم بتحية فحيوا بأحسن منها أو ردوها that says "When you have greeted via (any kind of) salutation; then (you) greet (in response) with a better of it or (at least) restore/reiterate it".

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  3. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    There is a verb مَرْحَبَ which means "to say مرحبا"
    The masdar of that verb is مَرْحَبَةٌ
    The dual of that masdar is مَرْحَبَتَيْن
    So, it's like saying "And double the saying of مرحبا (to you)".

By the way, the Form I of that verb is رَحُبَ which means to make wide, spacious, or roomy. And there is the phrase رَحُبَت بكم الدار which can be translated as "May the house be made spacious for you", and is most likely the origin of the expression مرحبًا.

4. raful Junior Member

Hebrew
    Hi there
    I understand the concept of doubling the greeting. In that case why not reply with "مرحبين" ? I don't understand where did the alif come from in the original form (مرحبا). Furthermore, I'm guessing the verb "مَرْحَبَ" derived from the greeting "مرحبا" and not vice versa. Meaning, the greeting مرحيبتين was before the verb مَرْحَبَ

5. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    No one said that the greeting مرحبا derived from the verb مَرْحَبَ. It was pointed out to you that the verb رَحُبَ means to be wide, spacious, or roomy.
    Derived from that verb, there is the noun of place مَرْحَبٌ which means a wide, spacious, or roomy place.
    The noun مَرْحَبٌ is placed in the accusative (with the alif) (مَرْحَبًا) because it is understood to be preceded by "you have found..." (i.e. "You have found a wide, roomy place").
    أَهْلٌ is placed in the accusative (أَهْلًا) for the same reason.
    No. You've got it backwards. The verb مَرْحَبَ yields the masdar مرحبة ("the saying of مَرْحَبًا") which, when put into the dual accusative form is مرحيبتين.
    If you dualized مَرْحَبٌ and put it in the accusative, you'd end up with مَرْحَبَيْن which would translate as "(you have found) two roomy spaces".

That is not the same as مَرْحَبَتَيْن which translates loosely, as I mentioned before, as ("And double the saying of مرحبا (to you)"

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  6. shafaq Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Please note that مرحبتين is doubled amount of مرحبة where; some times you may be responded with multiplied amount as مَرَاحب which is plural of مرحبة.

7. vinyljunkie619 Senior Member

so-cal
    algerian arabic/american english
    It's like when you say "_______x infinity"... except it's just 2.
    Mar7aba
    Mar7abteen

Ahlan
    Ahleen