1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

مزاج المرأة يعتريه البرد

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Huda, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Huda Senior Member

arabic-Egypt
    Please help me.
    Could anyone help me translate the following underlined sentence:

، فقال: «تكلم المفسرون في هذا، وجعلوا سببه المزاج، فقالوا: إن مزاج المرأة يعتريه البرد فيتبعه النسيان، وهذا غير متحقق،

2. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Temperament is مزاج.
    I don't know what they mean by برد though

3. Lark-lover

Lark-lover Senior Member

Arabic
    يقصد بالبرد هاهنا الفتور

4. Huda Senior Member

arabic-Egypt
    ما معنى مزاج المرأة يعتريه الفتور؟

5. aisha93

aisha93 Senior Member

Arabic/Persian(larestani)
    إن مزاج المرأة يعتريه البرد = أي تصبح المرأة باردة المزاج

والشخص البارد المزاج هو الشخص الغير مبالي الذي غالبا ما تكون ردود أفعاله باردة وخالية من الإنفعال أو الإثارة

So If you wanted to translate it into English you could use words like (Careless/apathetic...etc) for the adjective بارد المزاج

، فقال: «تكلم المفسرون في هذا، وجعلوا سببه المزاج، فقالوا: إن مزاج المرأة يعتريه البرد فيتبعه النسيان، وهذا غير متحقق،

Then he said: "The interpreters have talked about this, and concluded its actual reason to be the mood/disposition, and added: woman's mood is undermined by disinterest/indifference and subsequently followed by oblivion/forgetfulness. And this is unverified/not assured".

I didn't translate it literally, since it can't be so, but I tried to keep the meaning unchanged.

اعترى can be translated as: undermine/weaken/diminish
    البرد If we translate it literally, it can signifies "coolness" of the mood which is a good/positive thing, but in your given sentence the content is more intensified and is actually referring to a bad/negative state, or more to the point > the state of "carelessness/indifference"

I.e. (intense coolness/excessive coolness = carelessness/indifference)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  6. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    As-salamu 3alaykum jami3an,

This sentence talks about something a bit different then the modern usage and understanding of المزاج .

There was an old theory in Greek medicine, and was transmitted through translation to the Arabic medicine and writings. It's called نظرية الأمزجة (in French it's "théorie des humeurs" and in English it's "theory of the four humors" (or "humours") or The Four Temperaments, or Humorism (check the drawing in the Wiki page, I think it's helpful).

7. Huda Senior Member

arabic-Egypt
    Dear all, the above mentioned sentence is related to the following verse:
    وَاسْتَشْهِدُوا شَهِيدَيْنِ مِن رِّجَالِكُمْ ۖ فَإِن لَّمْ يَكُونَا رَجُلَيْنِ فَرَجُلٌ وَامْرَأَتَانِ مِمَّن تَرْضَوْنَ مِنَ الشُّهَدَاءِ أَن تَضِلَّ إِحْدَاهُمَا فَتُذَكِّرَ إِحْدَاهُمَا الْأُخْرَىٰ ۚ

8. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    واضح لكن تكوين الجملة غريب فيه استخدام كلمة «مزاج» هكذا واقتراح شيرين تفسير جيّد له

9. muhammad2012 Senior Member

arabic
    مزاج. ج أمزجة: ما أسس عليه البدن من الطبائع والأحوال.

إن مزاج المرأة يعتريه البرد فيتبعه النسيان

أي يكون عرضة للفتور والخمول والضعف
    فتقل
    شدته، وحدته، وهياجه
    .فتضعف معه الذاكرة ويأتي النسيان

10. Huda Senior Member

arabic-Egypt

I agree with you. The choice of words is also odd.

11. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    It's not really odd if you put it in perspective: it's a classic text, or written in Classical language, and this way of analyzing personalities (based on temperament and body fluids) was common in Classical texts.
    Here, I think the author was trying to explain "scientifically" why would a woman forget something she witnessed.

12. Michael_Mrkhmana New Member

Sweden
    Aramaic, Kurdish, Arabic.
    i personally very very agree with aisha93

13. Huda Senior Member

arabic-Egypt
    Thanks a million for your help.