1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

من غير أن تمس منها شيئا

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by CSB2808, Oct 26, 2013.

1. CSB2808 Senior Member

England
    English
    تملؤ مكتلها من كل فاكهة من غير أن تمس منها شيئا

she filled her basket with all the fruits that did not affect her??

What does this mean??

2. ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    In this case, we need the preceding context so as to give exactly the accurate meaning.
    Initially, it means " without touching any things"

3. CSB2808 Senior Member

England
    English
    كانت المرأة تمشي من بيتها وعلى رأسها مكتل فلا تصل الى بيت جارتها الا وهي تملؤه من كل فاكهة من غير أن تمس منها شيئا

Does that help? "without touching things" doesn't seem to make sense in the context..

I've translated the first bit as "His wife used to take walks from the house with a basket on her head, and she never visit her neighbours without her basket being filled with fruits that .....??

4. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    I could be wrong, but I don't think she's filling her basket.
    (I think the "ه" of "تملؤه" refers to "بيت جارتها" and not to her "مكتل").
    She's filling her neighbor's house with fruit (somehow magically transferring the contents of her basket to her neighbor's house?)
    Again, it may not make "sense", but I think that perhaps some magical behavior is being described?

5. jack_1313 Senior Member

English - Australian
    I read it as meaning that she didn't eat any of the fruit herself before she got to her neighbours house.

6. dkarjala Senior Member

English - America
    I found some of the text online. I'm almost certain it means

She wouldn't make it the distance to her neighbor's house without filling it with every fruit, without touching them in any way

The text is describing how plentiful the King Amr's gardens were, i.e. she couldn't even walk outside without fruit filling up a basket automatically. It says literally "without touching a thing of them", that is, "without touching any part of them". In other words, without having to pick them.

7. Bakr Senior Member

Arabic
    Yes, without touching any of them.