1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

هذا الكتاب نافذة على الإسلام ، أو مدخل للتعريف به لمن لا يعرف أو يعرفه معرفة قاصرة أو مشوهة

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by iwani, Oct 25, 2013.

1. iwani Junior Member

Malaysia
    Malay
    هذا الكتاب نافذة على الإسلام ، أو مدخل للتعريف به لمن لا يعرف أو يعرفه معرفة قاصرة أو مشوهة

I am learning how to vocalize and translate one of Dr Yusuf Al Qadarawi's book. Alhamdulillah so far the translation and vocalization is going ok. I am just confused with determining the nouns that is in genetive case ending due to its very long sentence

My question is, from the second part of the sentence; is the phrase below genitive where it is part of the prepositional phrase of لمن

معرفةٍ قاصرةٍ أو مشوهةٍ

Thanks in advance :)

2. shafaq Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    In your example it is معرفة ً قاصرة ً أو مشوهة ً ه

If it was with ب before it then it would be بمعرفةٍ قاصرةٍ أو مشوهةٍ [/rtl]

3. iwani Junior Member

Malaysia
    Malay
    MasyaAllah thanks shafaq.

Is that phrase object of the verb يعرفه ?

4. iwani Junior Member

Malaysia
    Malay
    Is my translation for the sentence above ok?

This book is a window to Islam or an entry for introduction by it (the book) for he who doesn't know or for he who knows it (Islam) [as] insufficient or distorted knowledge

Is it ok to put that invisible [as] ?

5. shafaq Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Yes!

Again yes! It will make it more readable.

6. iwani Junior Member

Malaysia
    Malay
    Thanks shafaq! 

This is new knowledge to me that you can arrange the words in such a structure

Therefore can I write:

يكتبه كتاب جديد وطويل

He writes it ; new and long book

Does it work the same way?

7. shafaq Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    It will be كتبه كتابا جديدا و طويلا

8. iwani Junior Member

Malaysia
    Malay
    Oh oh sorry I forgot the additional alif.. MasyaAllah syukran shafaq!

9. jack_1313 Senior Member

English - Australian
    It is the مفعول مطلق (cognate accusative), which is different to a regular direct object. It gives us information about the manner in or degree to which the verb is done. The object of يعرف here is ه, an anaphoric reference to الإسلام, and معرفة قاصرة أو مشوهة - the مفعول مطلق - tells us the manner of the knowing.

There's a few problems. as makes insufficient and distorted apply to Islam instead of the verb know.You might be able to see the problem if you consider the sentence "John knows Jessica as a nice girl." Also, the ه in به refers to Islam, not the book.

Hence, I think a more accurate translation of the meaning might be:
    This book is a window into Islam, a doorway through which someone who doesn't know Islam or whose knowledge of it is insufficient or distorted can become acquainted with it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  10. iwani Junior Member

Malaysia
    Malay
    Thanks Jack! I have never heard of cognate accusative and I am googling it now. My class is using the book Modern Literary Arabic by David Cowan

Thanks so much for your thorough explanation!