1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

همزة وصل (literal meaning)

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by seitt, Jan 25, 2012.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

I've found a number of threads dealing with "همزة وصل", but please could someone explain what it means literally and how it comes to mean the dissolution of diphthongs into their constituent parts.

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. Abu Talha

Abu Talha Senior Member

Urdu
    I found a paper الهمزة أنواعها و قواعد كتابتها by الدكتور حسين حَبيب سليمان in which he quotes:

Here's my translation of the part in blue:

الجاربردي said, "... The hamzat al-waSl is dropped in fluent speech for it connects what is before it with what is after it, we say katabtu smaka, so the hamza of ism is dropped and the تاء is connected with the سين, and this is why it was named همزة الوصل (the hamza of connection). [On the other hand,] it is said that it was named همزة الوصل (the hamza of access) because it makes pronouncing a saakin letter accessible, and this is why al-Khaliil* named it "the ladder of the tongue/language.""
    _______
    a famous Arab grammarian

The author prefers the second view.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  3. jmt356 Senior Member

If we call the همزة الوصل the hamza of connection in English, then what do we call the همزة قطع? I read in one book the term radical hamza, but I am not sure if that was referring to the همزة قطع or to something else.

4. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    The hamza may have been called a radical because wherever it is placed it 'converts' that letter into a glottal stop.
    قطع means something like 'causing a break in the flow of your speech' (QaT3)