1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

هناك إخفاق في ايجاد حل مقبول للخلاف حول هذا الموضوع

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by economistegypt2010, Feb 6, 2013.

1. economistegypt2010

economistegypt2010 Senior Member

Egypt, مصر
    Arabic, العربية
    هناك اخفاق في ايجاد حل مقبول للخلاف حول هذا الموضوع

How one can say that in English?

2. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    Finding a reasonable solution to the disagreement on this issue has failed.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  3. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    We have failed to find an acceptable solution to our disagreement on this issue.

4. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    Oops. I misread مقبول as معقول. :eek:

Without pronouns or any further context how can you tell it's 'we' that is meant?

5. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Whatever the pronoun, he should include it for it to be idiomatic in English :)

6. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    I agree, with this type of sentence, it is better to have an object for the verb (at least in English).

This particular sentence gave me trouble before I finally decided on what I wrote, which wasn't the best, but without further context I just try to do the best I can with what I've got. I kind of look at it as I'm just offering up a template, so to speak, as I imagine all these threads started by Economist are part of a larger translation in which he tweaks the translations we provide as needed according to the larger context.

That said, I probably should have just translated this sentence as, "There has been a failure at finding an acceptable solution to the disagreement on this issue," which is something that could be said if one merely wants to relate that a failure has occurred, without mention of any causal agent.

At any rate, if you'd like a more accurate translation, Economist, you could provide more context, for example, by including both the preceding and following sentences along with the one you want translated.