1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ولا تفكر طويلاً في ما يهمك

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Ibn Nacer, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Ibn Nacer Senior Member

French - France
    Hello,
    قال الشيخ يوماً خلاصة الطب أن تدفئ رجليك وتبرد رأسك وتعتني بطعامك ولا تفكر طويلاً في ما يهمك

Is that the verb تفكر must be madjzûm, marfû' or mansûb?
    What is the verb يهم ?

Thank you.
    Est-ce que le verbe تفكر doit être madjzûm, marfû' ou mansûb ?
    Quel est le verbe يهم ?

Merci.

2. barkoosh Senior Member

Beirut
    Arabic
    تفكر is mansûb. It's as is if you're saying: وأن لا تفكر طويلا في ما يهمك (here لا is النافية not الناهية).

يهم is المضارع of the verb هَمَّ, which means here "to worry".

3. Ibn Nacer Senior Member

French - France
    Thank you very much.

Yes I also think that, but someone told me it is possible that لا is لا الناهية.

Is it possible to have لا الناهية after the particle أن ? I think not but I'm not sure.

Thank you very much.

4. barkoosh Senior Member

Beirut
    Arabic
    It depends on how you read it. لا could be الناهية if you read:
    قال الشيخ يوماً خلاصة الطب أن تدفئ رجليك و[أن] تبرد رأسك و[أن] تعتني بطعامك and then change the verb tense to imperative by using لا الناهية: and don't think too much about what worries you: ولا تفكرْ طويلا في ما يهمك. In this case the last و isn't followed by a hidden أن.

So which one is right? It depends on how the الشيخ said it. My hunch is that لا is النافية, going with the flow of the sentence.

5. Ibn Nacer Senior Member

French - France
    Ok thank you very much.

In the case where the last و isn't followed by a hidden أن I think this و isn't واو العطف but is واو الاستئناف, Is this correct?

6. Arabic Guru

Arabic Guru Senior Member

The Occupied Holy Land!
    Arabic - العربية
    It's madjzûm by لا الناهية
    The negative imperative is formed by using لا plus the jussive form of the verb in the second person (you).

I think it's واو الاستئناف

I have just found another context from another book:
    Reference:

7. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    I too believe this لا is الناهية. It's like a separate sentence, and the verb here is مجزوم.

If the last part was following the same sequence, I would expect it to be وألاّ تفكر , in which case the لا would have been نافية and the verb منصوب.