1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

وَالْقَلَمِ وَمَا يَسْطُرُونَ

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Ahmed Han, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Ahmed Han Junior Member

Turkish
    This sentence is translated as

But then, what is its difference with the sentence below?

I don't understand the difference between "يَسْطُرُونَ" and "يَكْتُبُون". The first one, when I consider its root, looks like to be related to line-by-line writing. But I can't be sure. Can you please explain its meaning?

2. rayloom Senior Member

Paris, France
    Arabic (Hijazi Arabic)
    By the pen and what they inscribe/record.

The waw in the beginning is a jurative particle.
    Al-Qalam is better translated as "pen".
    يسطرون is the 3rd person (masculine) plural imperfective, so it doesn't refer to the "pen". And is better translated as "they inscribe/record" instead of "it inscribes/records".

3. Ahmed Han Junior Member

Turkish
    Thank you for your answer.

How do we impose the meaning of "line (سطر)" in the given sentence? Or, is the the original root meaning "line" totally lost in this sentence?

I searched Google for "jurative particle", it didn't return informative results. Is there any other title to make search on this topic (waw being in the beginning)?

4. Hadi-M New Member

Malaysia
    English & Malay
    For me, (سطر) also can be translated as 'writing'. But in arranged form. That's why it also being translated as 'line'.
    In other word, (سطر) is we write something neatly.

That's what I understand. If there're any mistakes, I'm sorry.

5. ajamiyya عجمية Junior Member

USA
    American English
    It's called "waw al-qasam" and I have always heard it referred to as a jussive particle.

It begins an oath, so, "By the pen" is more accurate than "and the pen" for a translation of the first part of the ayah.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  6. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Once I found a document listing over a dozen different meanings of و in Arabic.