1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

يحلم في ما هو أكثر من

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by jack_1313, Jul 3, 2013.

1. jack_1313 Senior Member

English - Australian
    Hi guys. Can anyone explain this phrase to me? It appears in this article, but a Google search has shown me that common variants are يرغب فيما هو أكثر من and يطمع فيما هو أكثر من etc.

من مصلحة إسرائيل استمرار القتال داخل سورية حتى آخر مقاتل إرهابي وآخر طلقة رصاص معه , لأن في ذلك مصلحة لإسرائيل التي كانت تحلم فيما هو أكثر من ذلك
    Translation:
    Seeing the fighting inside Syria continue to the very last terrorist fighter and the very last bullet is in Israel’s interest because ...

Thanks!

2. AndyRoo Senior Member

London
    English
    I think it's just:

"which had been dreaming of [even] more than this."

3. jack_1313 Senior Member

English - Australian
    Thanks very much for that Andy!

I think my mistake was to assume that this part of the sentence would have to give some sort of reason for the fighting is in Israel's interest due to the absence of a real reason from the preceding cause-effect structure:
    Continuation of the fighting inside Syria until ... is in Israel's interest because Israel, which ...., has an interest in that.
    Now I can see that the second مصلحة might be better translated as "benefit," but drifting off topic now that my original question has been answered :)

4. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    I think it should be يحلم بما هو أكثر من ذلك either it's a typo or the author mistakenly uses يحلم في (dialectal use?) instead of ب. And I agree with Andy's translation.