1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

يلهم عباده أجمعين

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Juc1, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Juc1 Junior Member

UK
    English
    السلام عليكم

يلهم عباده اجمعين

from the red part here (from this book).

Can anyone please tell me about these three words translated as 'to have inspired all His creatures' - grammar, meaning etc?

Thank you

2. rayloom Senior Member

Paris, France
    Arabic (Hijazi Arabic)
    وعليكم السلام

أن يلهم عباده أجمعين
    2an yulhima 3ibaadahu 2ajma3iina

2an: means "that" and is followed by a subjunctive.
    yulhima: 3rd person singular masculine imperfective, subjunctive. Form IV 2alhama-yulhimu.
    3ibaada: Plural of 3abd, as in "servant of God". It means humanity or mankind. (I wouldn't understand "creatures" from it!). The case marking is that of the accusative since it's the object in this sentence. The subject here, we'd say in Arabic grammar, is an omitted pronoun هو "he" (referring to God).
    -hu: possessive pronoun meaning "his".
    2ajma3iina: means "all". The ending here is that of the masculine sound plural (oblique case).

3. Juc1 Junior Member

UK
    English
    جزاك الله خير

For the verb would the first form be لهم (I am not sure about the vowels) meaning 'inspire'? If so, I think the 4th form can be causative - but why is fourth form needed here? In English ('for Him to have inspired') it does not seem to be causative.

شكرا

4. rayloom Senior Member

Paris, France
    Arabic (Hijazi Arabic)
    That might have been true if the first form's meaning were "to inspire" :)
    However, the first form means something like "to devour", similar to its reflexive form التهم 'iltahama (which is much commoner than Form I).
    The Arabic dictionary مقاييس اللغة proposes a short explanation for the development of the meaning "to inspire":
    ومن هذا الباب الإلهام، كأنَّه شيءٌ أُلقِيَ في الرّوع فالتَهَمَه

5. Juc1 Junior Member

UK
    English
    Ok thanks. :) I have seen this verb and also الإلهام used in a religious context (perhaps some kind of communication from God) but is it also used for the English secular meaning of 'inspire' - for example "The London Olympics inspired me to fulfil my dream"?

شكرا