1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

あなた代わってやり遂げる気があったら

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Riccardo91, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Riccardo91 Junior Member

Italian
    Dear Japanese forum,

I'm finally seeing the end of this project I worked on for months. This was a translation done 'for fun and practice', and without you it would have been impossible for me to understand correctly a lot of sentences. Thank you very much to everyone who helped me. And now, this should (hopefully) be my last question... for this time!

A girl named Reika failed to get revenge for her sister Irene, who was killed some time ago by a large industry. She's now saying that she will keep on trying to avange her no matter what, and a friend of her suggests her that's not a good path to follow.

アイリンの望みをあなた代わってやり遂げる気があったら... レイカ、復讐じゃなく別の道があると思う。
    "If you were to achieve Irene's wishes for her...// Reika, I think there are ways other than revenge."

I can only interpret the Japanese text assuming these are two separate sentences, but the way they are pronounced strongly suggests that's a unique expression. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help!

2. Yuie New Member

Korean-South
    Wasn't there a postposition アイリンの望みをあなた  here? 代わってやり遂げる気があったら... レイカ、復讐じゃなく別の道があると思う。
    I believe you understood the sentence well no matter any kind of postposition is missing there though. And it seems also ok to say without a postposition because it is a line in a dialogue.
    Well, It's not that unique expression but I guess its situation must be so dramatic.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  3. Riccardo91 Junior Member

Italian
    Thank you very much! Probably it's just the way it's said that misled me.