1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ありがとう, よ

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by pauro13, Apr 14, 2013.

1. pauro13

pauro13 Junior Member

Tagalog
    ano, sumimasen.. "what do you want to say", ja onegaishimasu! arigatou yo.

[h=3]mod note
    The thread has been branched from the discussion in the following thread:
    Could you please[/h]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  2. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    pauro13, yes good when you speak to someone. But I humbly suggest you Onegaishimasu is good when used at the end of conversation.
    You say 'Could you please..', the listener will say yes. Then you say Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu. If the answer is no, you can't say Yoroshiku..., though. You need another different solution. And you don't need 'yo'..but I don't like this error correction!

3. pauro13

pauro13 Junior Member

Tagalog
    yo is a particle I bet used by people in Japan that emphasizes closeness between of whom they speak with I guess? it is similar to the yo! that we used to hear from westernian people. Anyways, please correct me if I'am wrong. My Japanese knowledge is yet that of N4 and N5.. Thanks! By the way, Please help me find a good kanji converter online, because my keyboard is US and I can't seem to find ways on writing kanjis. tanomu yo!

4. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Congrats on the new thread, pauro13.

Yes, that's right.

I'll have to correct my mention a bit. I'm sorry. Yes we say arigatoyo ありがとよ! and arigatone ありがとね!(short to), both of which are casual. But we don't say/write ありがとう、よ or ありがとうよ.

Note that ありがとよ!sounds less polite and ありがとね!is common. Just memorise them. By the way, ありがとう、よ or ありがとうよ is nothing critical, offensive errors anyway. Sounds lovely a bit, giving an impact on the listener;) No joke.

5. pauro13

pauro13 Junior Member

Tagalog
    I just got that expression from a Japanese friend of mine. There were lots of them actually, they were the ones teaching me Japanese and I taught them English too. We communicate in Facebook. Anyways, I've noticed that women uses ne and men uses yo. That's what I noticed from every Japanese including animes. And there are lots of spelling issues as well on how they used their characters, maybe just to give visual designs on how they want their constructions to look like. For example, a friend of mine use to spelled dayo as だ and a small character よ.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  6. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    I shan't get into the details without any context, but generally よ marks the information in one's statement as something that has not been shared with the listener. In contrast, ね assumes that the information is shared.

ありがとうね, or more casually, ありがとね, conveys your thanks and assumes that the interlocutor knows that you are grateful. This is not very strange since saying ありがとう itself is an expression of thanks. [Thank you. I think you know how much I appreciate it but again, thank you.]

ありがとうよ (this is too formal/bossy to be used in modern contexts) or ありがとよ on the other hand assumes that the interlocutor does not know you are thankful. Again, since saying ありがとう is already an expression of thankfulness, "Perhaps you don't know but I am thankful" nuance entails irony such as:
    Don't be so ingratiating. As if I am not thankful enough!

7. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Yes I know..よ and ね are bothersome. But take time! Omitting them could be one of solution, and don't focus on them too much. We say Samui yo! Samui ne! but don't Ohayo yo or Ohayo ne because Good morning is exclamation. That's the way it is.

だょ?It's getting a popular expression on the Internet.

8. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    And are JP pronouncing it as 'dyo'?:confused: or so far it's only a written tendency but still pronounced as だよ?

To me, the よ and ね are merely filler words in おはよう, Japanese like to spam some particles just for the sake of it, さ、ね、よ. I've heard things like: あのさ、海に行ってさ、友達と遊んでさ、楽しかったさ!

9. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Yes, だょ is a written tendency, and just to get a funny visual effect. We can't pronounce だょ笑 say だよ.

10. pauro13

pauro13 Junior Member

Tagalog
    皆、すごい。じゃ、日本語が教えてこれね。xD