1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

いき

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by futaro, Mar 15, 2013.

1. futaro Senior Member

Argentina
    France
    Alguien me puede dar la traducción de esta oración?

いきはしんかんせんでいった。

Gracias

2. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    We, including you, don't know how the speaker has come back: by walk or by airplane. But at least he or she went somewhere by shinkansen.

いき is a noun of 'go'*. The (or my, etc.) going―shinkansen. See this is not that a shinkansen goes somewhere. The speaker used shinkansen when he or she went (there).

Go back the first topic. The return is unknown, but the speaker is now talking about his or her going. Let's spotlight the going:

Regarding the going, (it was by) shinkansen.
    I know this sounds a bit strange, but notice I tried to keep the way that Japanese sentence does.

*This is not a topic here though, I'm not sure whether Japanese いき is certainly equal to an English gerund 'going'.

3. futaro Senior Member

Argentina
    France

4. futaro Senior Member

Argentina
    France
    Thank you. So, it means that he or she takes the Shinkansen to go or go back somewhere?

5. lrosa Senior Member

Dublin
    English - Ireland
    いき in this sense is roughly equivalent to the English "the way there" - so your sentence is literally "On the way there, he/she went by Shinkansen" or more naturally, "He/she went there by Shinkansen". "The way back" would be 帰り(かえり).

So いきはしんかんせんでいったけど、かえりはひこうきだった would be "He/she went there by Shinkansen but came back by plane."

6. futaro Senior Member

Argentina
    France
    Thank you. Now it is very clear.