1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

お勤め

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by hiroline, Jul 30, 2013.

1. hiroline Junior Member

Hi,

I'm translating a brochure on Shingon-shu and the term お勤め is giving me a hard time.
    The sentence suggests that people visiting a temple and staying overnight could do お勤め before breakfast. Could it mean "singing sutras"?

What do you think? Could anyone help me?

Thanks a lot

2. yuna0406 Junior Member

Japanese
    Hi.
    I wasn't totally sure, so I did some googling just in case.
    You're right.

お勤め is to chant (sing/recite/read) a sutra in front of a Buddhist altar.

3. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    Chanting is one of お勤め you should do every day in Buddhism.
    お勤め includes 供養(giving food, water, green, candles and all the necessaries), 礼拝(bow and worship/pray), 読経(reading sutra), and 御詠歌(singing sutra with melody, but sounds the same as 読経 :p). It may vary depending on the sects. I myself have only attended a very few for 真言宗 for my far relatives, so I cannot tell in detail, but most Buddhism お勤め includes the first three as "must-do" routines, or should I call it a chore of a Buddhist?

4. hiroline Junior Member

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Tonky, do you think "singing sutras" would grasp the idea of all the chores you mentioned because I'm not sure there is a specific term in English. I guess "singing sutras" includes the spiritual aspect and the idea of praying and reading sutras. I might have to go with this "simple" translation.
    I'll post again if I decide to change it or if I find anything better.

5. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    I cannot quite say yes or no to that since I'm not the one translating or looking at the whole brochure. You'll have to decide after all. It all depends on the purpose of the brochure, I guess.
    (Doesn't the word "office" mean the same in English, though? I cannot quite be sure since I hardly had a chance for religious talking in English.)