1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

その目盛りが

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Ukeboy, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Ukeboy Junior Member

Italian
    I'm not sure if I've a magnet for hard things, or are them which are attracted by me, but here it is my new personal challenge:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2h6zmlu.png

If anyone can simply transcribe (like, writing down all the characters, without translation) down what's written here, that would help me... although if you've got an opinion on what all this madness means, you're welcome on giving it. I'm somewhat lost with this.

Thank you for any help, and to those like me who're nearing a workout with study, ganbare! :p

2. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Ukeboy, the latter four lines describe an action of the ruler that is far beyond our understanding of daily physics.

The ruler's scales (1 2 3..on a ruler) put, load, equip, carry what? It seems something runs, but what runs?

3. Ukeboy Junior Member

Italian
    I've got NO IDEA on what this should mean... it is far beyond my understanding of japanese... could it help if I say this is the text of a dream? (a page of a dream diary)

4. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Ahaha..no wonder you don't understand. Yes, they sound like the text of a dream, a fantasy.

その目盛りが
    部屋ごとに付いている
    子供の名前を載せて
    定規の上を走る。

The (ruler's) scales equip/put what? The object marker を is pointing-children's names. Or, children's names may be written on the scales.
    Okay. And how are the children's names? They are set for each room. And what runs? The scales do on the ruler. But is this talking about using your two legs? The scales perhaps are allocated on the ruler.
    Or, this is less likely but the scales are actually running on the ruler while equipping the names, because this poetry is a dream diary. Merry Christmas with this strange poetry!

5. Ukeboy Junior Member

Italian
    I checked my email today... geez, I would love to give you a Merry Christmas, after all this help you're giving me... looks like I'm a bit late xD well, merry (past) Christmas and hapy new year! Ahah xD

P.S. still, I haven't found the meaning in all this... can someone transcribe the characters so that I can put them in my dictionary (that one in jwpce) and see if I can pull out some sense out of it? That would be awesome :p

6. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Welcome! Thank you for the post to message! A happy new year, 明けましておめでとう!

Okay okay, sorry that I've been forgetting posting the Japanese text.

赤いホテル

ホテル中が赤く塗られている。
    正面にロビイ、
    左手に客室へと続く廊下。
    また廊下の天井の隅には、
    定規が取り付けられている。
    定規も赤く塗られており、
    その目盛りが
    部屋ごとに付いている
    子供の名前を載せて
    定規の上を走る。

The first half simply explains the inside of the hotel. The problem is the latter half as you mentioned..I will review, but check my previous post, too. Feel free to post your questions!

7. Ukeboy Junior Member

Italian
    Oh, don't worry! It's ok, I mean, we've been busy, I guess :p

I could get some lines done, my personal attempt to a full translation is:

Red Hotel

The hotel is painted red.
    In the lobby in front there is a corridor which leads to a door on the left.
    In the corner of the ceiling there is also a corridor, with a ruler attached. The ruler, also, is painted red. Every scale coincides with a room. A child's name is put on each scale.

Is this any good? Seems fair enough? :p

8. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Yes very good. I like the simplicity in your translation. You understand Japanese well=3