1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

そらきた!

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Damon89, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Damon89

Damon89 Senior Member

Rome
    Italian
    Hi,
    I'm a little confused by this expression I found in "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone". The full sentence, along with the original English, is as follows.

そらきた。お望みどおりだ。マルフォイの目の前で箒に乗って、物笑いの種になるのさ。
    Typical. Just what I always wanted. To make a fool of myself on a broomstick in front of Malfoy.

The sentence is quite clear, except for the very first part: そらきた. I couldn't find this expression on my dictionaries nor online (except as part of the name of a regional delicacy, with a nice backstory). I did find the slightly different but very plausible "それきた" on the Kojien, with the following definition:

予測通りに事が起きた場合や物の受け渡しの場合に発する掛け声。

Which should mean something along the lines of "An exclamation used when something happens according to estimations, or when you pass on/deliver something." Given my not-so-great knowledge of Japanese, my translation of the definition could be wrong. But if it is right, it does seem to fit.

My question is: am I right in thinking that, そら being a colloquialism for それ(は), the two expressions are one and the same? If not, what exactly does そらきた mean?

Thank you for your time and knowledge. =)

2. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Isn't this, in other word, 'Here just what I always wanted has come typically'? I'm not sure. I just mixed the original sentence and the Japanese sentence.

By the way, そらきた, sounds more informal and conversational than それきた (それきた is enough conversational, too. They are almost the same), is 'Here it comes'.