1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ちょっと黙っててくれない?

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Shatin, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Shatin Junior Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    I've asked about the use of てて before.

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2338857&p=11756233#post11756233

え。それまで待っててね。

The explanation offered by Flaminius was:

Since それまで introduces into the context an undefined length of duration, the verb that should be cast in its te-form should also indicate duration, which is done by affixing -iru. That's how we get 待っている and 待っていて.

However here in ちょっと黙っててくれない?we have a defined period of time as qualified by ちょっと. So why do we need to use てて? Why don't we just say ちょっと黙ってくれない? Just like in ちょっと待って下さい, for this brief ちょっと period of time, we only need to use just one て. There's no need for us to say ちょっと待ってて下さい.

I am a bit confused now. Any help will be appreciated!

2. kabichan New Member

Japanese
    ちょっと黙ってください is like “Shut your mouth” but ちょっと黙っててください is more like “Remain shutting your mouth” and it has a nuance of “until something happens”. “Something” could be until I tell you to speak, until I finish this, etc.

For example, if you are shopping with your friend and s/he walks too fast, you’d say ちょっと待ってください to ask your friend to slow down or wait. You’ll never say ちょっと待っててください in this situation.

If you are shopping with your friend, and you want to go check out another store but you want your friend to remain in a certain store, then you’d say ちょっと待っててください. If you say ちょっと待ってください in this situation, your friend may be like “what? Wait for what? What should I wait for?”

3. Shatin Junior Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    Thank you kabichan! Your explanation is very clear. It's not always easy to understand the nuance of spoken Japanese. Fortunately we can get help from native speakers here.