1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

どちらの方ですか

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Nakuru, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Nakuru

Nakuru Junior Member

London, UK
    Spanish, Catalan
    Hello! I'm not sure about the meaning of this. I've heard this expression before, but including some other word, for example:

A- どちらの方が好きですか?
    B- 赤いスカートの方が好きです。

So what's the meaning of just どちらの方ですか, without any other extra word? This is a reply I got after saying I'm studying Japanese. Can it refer to my level/how I'm doing or something like that?

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  2. Adrisim

Adrisim New Member

Mexico City
    Mexican Spanish
    Actually, yes. It may refer the way you're doing with Japanese and if it is better something. There is actually the word ''love''. Which I don't completely understand given the context, though. It may imply somewhat the way someone struggles with the language or it could be a question on your Japanese level at the time.

Maybe someone else could provide more accurate answers. Meanwhile, search for the meaning of each Kanji by itself so you could get close to the real meaning.
    I'm sorry. There is nothing much I can do.

3. mdbvma Senior Member

Canada, English
    "どちら" can mean "which", "which direction", or "which person". Therefore, "どちらですか" can mean "which one is it", "where is it", or "who is it". "どちらの方" is usually used when two distinct choices have been previously mentioned. Therefore I don't think that just saying "どちらの方ですか" without further context makes sense.

4. Nakuru

Nakuru Junior Member

London, UK
    Spanish, Catalan
    Thanks for your answers!

Adrisim

I think that might be the approximate meaning, but I'm not sure :s

mdmvma

The context was my saying I'm studying Japanese. I also told him that I didn't mind a web being in Japanese because I wanted to improve it. His reply to my message was "dochira no hou desu ka?". I would be very thankful if you could provide me with the exact meaning.

Thanks a lot!

5. Wishfull Senior Member

jp
    A: I'm studying Japanese.
    B: Where are you from? (What is your nationality? What country is yours? どちらの方(かた)ですか?)

どちらの方(かた)ですか?
    =どちらの国の方(かた)ですか?
    =ご出身はどちらですか?
    In this context, 方(かた)(not ほう) means "person."

どちらの方(ほう)が好きですか?=Which do you like?
    In this context, 方(ほう) is like "thing" or "stuff."

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  6. Nakuru

Nakuru Junior Member

London, UK
    Spanish, Catalan
    Oh! I wouldn't have guessed it meant that! I din't know it was read like "かた" instead of "ほう" either.

You helped me a lot, many thanks! ^_^