1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

なめこなんかくれました。

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by ivamv, Jul 15, 2013.

1. ivamv New Member

ukrainian
    Please, help me translate this phrase.

The sentence is from a beautiful fairy-tale 狐の窓 by Naoko Awa. Its meant for children, so words are mostly written in hiragana.

ぺこっとおじぎをして、鉄砲をうけとると、おみやげに、なめこなんかくれました。

Thank you !

2. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    なめこ is a type of mushroom that looks like this.

なんか is a filler (something that does not have much meaning) attached to a noun.

くれ is a conjugation of くれる (someone else give something to the speaker or someone whom the narrative is focused on).

In short, whoever took the gun from the protagonist gave some mushrooms in return.

3. ivamv New Member

ukrainian
    Thank you very much! :)

And now I'm stuck with the next sentence. I am sorry, but, please, can you help me...

今夜のおつゆにしてください。

Usually I find all the words in dictionary, but this one I can't find... I guess it's a kind of soup.
    So... I guess he is asked to make soup with those mushrooms.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  4. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    おつゆ is usually miso-soup. It's the most common broth in Japan made of soup stocks taken from dried kelp, small sardines.

Literall, おつゆにする means "to make something miso-soup", but here it just means "to put the mushrooms in miso-soup for the evening."

5. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    Actually, Flaminius san, I'm afraid おつゆ meaning miso-soup is a dialect, if I remember correctly. I've heard some people from Kyoto and Hokkaido say that too. I'm not sure what this original text meant, so Flaminius-san may be correct and it may be miso-soup, indeed, なめこ would make a good ingredient for miso-soup. But it usually means just soup.

In my area, when we say おつゆ, it would usually mean either clear soup like 澄まし汁, soup for cold noodles, or sauce/juice for nizakana (cooked fish), and nobody around here would think of miso-soup.

6. ivamv New Member

ukrainian
    You are very kind, thank you very much ! )

7. Vaan Junior Member

Japanisch
    ただおつゆと言えば、どちらかというと味噌汁よりもすまし汁でしょう。とはいえ、言われた方は味噌汁にしてしまうかもしれませんが。:rolleyes: