1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

なんでもかんでも大事件にして

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Riccardo91, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Riccardo91 Junior Member

Italian
    Dear Japanese forum, I'm in doubt over this sentence (this is a transcription from the audio, it may contain mistakes).

お前みたいになんでもかんでも大事件にして喜んでる部下を持ったこっちの身にもなってみろ。

A police chief and an inspector are talking: a major incident happened in a factory that's connected with the government. The inspector would like to find the truth about what happened, but the chief doesn't want to get too involved, fearing possible reprisals. The inspector blames the chief for caring only about his retirement, and then comes that sentence.

My attempts:
    1) "If you had men like you, who enjoy making a big fuss for everything, you would become like me."
    2) "If you had men like you, who enjoy that much when big incidents occur, you would become like me."

Which one is correct?

Thank you very much!

2. nagoyano Senior Member

Japanese
    こっちの身にもなってみろ literally means "imagine how hard my life is, because...".
    Here 身 means standpoint of point of view, and なる means "to take such a position".
    This expression is used almost exclusively in difficult situation, so "how hard my life is...".
    "Imagine how hard my life is, because I have such a man who enjoy taking every minute issue as a major problem!".

3. Riccardo91 Junior Member

Italian
    Wow, so I was totally wrong on every part of the sentence. Not a good thing to hear. :(

Thank you very much, you were really useful!