1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ほんとばか / really stupid

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by compaqdrew, Jun 3, 2013.

1. compaqdrew Senior Member

English - AE
    I am trying to say that a strategy in a game is "really stupid". In English I might call it the "really stupid strategy" or "really stupid plan".

I think this would be ほんとばか but Google asks me "Did you mean ほんとバカ?" Indeed, the second one is more popular.

I know that the first one is hiragana and the second one is katagana. Is the first one incorrect? Why is the second one preferable?

2. jamesh625 Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
    English-Australia
    One of the myriad uses of katakana is to provide emphasis but here, as my Japanese lecturer once put it so eloquently, it's because you're describing an 嫌なこと (no one likes being called stupid). Actually here it sort of has a dual role of providing emphasis and of conveying that 嫌なこと idea (although you could take whichever effect you wanted from it).

3. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Either is basically OK. Hiragana can soften the impression of a sentence. Katakana バカ is for emphasis or 嫌なこと, as jamesh625 said, and just common. Then it's strong as well you do in English with upper case, really STUPID? No, I don't think so or not as strong as the upper case does.