1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

もがき

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Seikun, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Seikun

Seikun Senior Member

Chile
    Chile - Castellano
    Hi.
    An old Visual Kei band called Malice Mizer has a song called Illuminati and this word is being driving crazy because I have found two different translations and I don't know what the correct meaning is.

The song goes like this:

救われぬ躰で踊る仕草はセミラミスのように美しく
    身を委ねもがき狂い舞う躰を
    ホーリーグレイルで頂へと昇り詰めればいい

I have found two translation; one in Spanish which I wish it isn't the correct word and the one in English which I hope is the correct. I don't want to give the meanings I have found in order not to affect your translation in any way, so please forgive me this time. If there's not consensus then I will give you the two meanings I have found.

Help is appreciated^^

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    もがき is from もがく
    I'd say "struggle", but there may be a better word in English.

3. Seikun

Seikun Senior Member

Chile
    Chile - Castellano
    In English the word used to translate it is writhe (writhing), but in the Spanish translation they separate も from がき, so they translate the がき segment as "ghoul"... Something like 身を委ね も がき 狂い舞う躰を

Does the Spanish translation make any sense or the correct translation by all means is "writhing" (もがき)?

Thanks for replying.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  4. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    No.

5. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    There is a word もがき狂う which is often translated as "writhe in pain".
    However, the problem with this lyrics is that I cannot tell where to break words.
    身を委ね、もがき、狂い、舞う-躰を?
    身を委ね、もがき狂い、舞う-躰を?
    身を委ね、もがき、{狂い,舞う}-躰を?
    身を委ね、{もがき狂い、舞う}-躰を?
    And even if I find out where to break each word, I cannot understand this as a whole, at all :(

This Spanish translator probably thought of the word, 餓鬼(がき), but it means either "kid/brat" or "starving ghosts/souls" which is a very religious term in Buddhism (often translated as "ghouls" of Arabic folklore, but NOT accurate) and never fits here with the other words, like "the Holy Grail". It is most unlikely.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preta

6. Seikun

Seikun Senior Member

Chile
    Chile - Castellano
    Maybe the confusion comes from the fact that most videos with the lyrics to the song which were made by Spanish speaking people separate も from がき, hence the problem.
    The song or at least the music video to this song has a sexual tone, so now it all makes sense and I'm relieved now.

Flaminius and Tonky, thank you very much for clearing this up for me! ^^