1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

を particle with intransitive verbs

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by requiem0818, Dec 29, 2012.

1. requiem0818 New Member

English
    When studying these intransitive verbs I found the direct object particle 「を」 being used.

曲がって開店早々食堂見付けた。
    ”Turning the corner"

出るや否や激しく降り出した。
    "Leaving the house"
    Sentences taken from renshuu.org dictionary.

I thought the meaning of intransitive verbs is that they cannot take direct objects. So, why do these sentences have direct objects?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  2. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    My dictionary says English 'turn' is both intransitive and transitive, and 'come to do' is transitive. Many verbs are both I/T, as well in Japanese. True intransitive verbs are few: sleep and go (and more if I check)? When using sleep as a transitive verb, the dictionary says that is to have enough beds for particular number of people: The apartment sleeps six. Try using a dictionary!

3. Yatalu

Yatalu Junior Member

Belgium
    Dutch (Flanders)
    As for the first sentence,
    In the case of verbs such as 通る(とおる、to pass)、 but also for instance  飛ぶ(とぶ、to fly)、歩く(あるく、to walk by foot), the particle を indicates the place that is passed or gone through. Example sentences would be:
    バスは大学(だいがく)を通(とお)る。 (The bus passes (by) the university.)
    飛行機(ひこうき)は空を飛(と)んでいる。(The plane flies through the sky. - A bit of a silly sentence, since it's too logical to state, but you get the point, I hope.)
    毎日(まいにち)、山田(やまだ)さんが道(みち)を歩(ある)いた。(Mr. Yamada walked through the street everyday.)

"Turning around the corner" would be passing that corner as well.

In the second sentence, を indicates the movement from a smaller place into a bigger place. 出る(でる、to leave) would be a verb that very much uses this を、 another verb would be 降りる(おりる、to get off) and I can't think of any more atm xD. Example sentences:
    部屋(へや)を出(で)る前(まえ)に、電気(でんき)を消(け)す。(Before I leave my room, I turn off the light. ~ movement from room -> house, the room is a smaller location than the house, obviously.)
    バスを降(お)りたところだ。(I just got off the bus. ~ movement from bus -> open space, the bus is a smaller location than wherever you got off to.)

I hope my example sentence were grammatically right :v I'm not an expert myself.
    Hope this helped~

@edit: since my post crossed frequency's - yeah, some verbs could probably be regarded as both transitive(他動詞) and intransitive(自動詞)~ But this is how I learnt it^ I suppose it's best to take whatever makes you remember more easily c:

4. Wishfull Senior Member

jp
    Distinguishing transitive verbs from intransitive verbs is the rule of English grammar.
    I don't think there is such distinction of verbs in Japanese grammar.