Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Lisa Wang, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Hi everyone :)

I just came across this sentence online and don't understand what it means:

So, what exactly does アレな気がする mean?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Tonky Senior Member

アレ is used when the writer believes he/she shares opinion/idea/info with the reader/listener.
    Literally, it is "that", and it means "you know what I mean".
    "If you use it too often, it would be like... you know, what I mean? So, probably better keep its use limited. (not over-use it)"
    In this case, you can apply whatever adjective comes to your mind when you see/hear someone using certain slang term too often. (such as annoying, uneducated, childish, and so on.)

I hear English natives say "you know THAT feel" too, although it is used differently and would not fit here.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  3. YangMuye

YangMuye Senior Member

Hi, Tonky, what's the different between
    and あれな気がします。

I'm curious about the different among あの、例の、例のあの and あれな.
  4. lrosa Senior Member

English - Ireland
    For my part, I am familiar with あれ in expressions such as あれですね (similar to "you know what I mean"), but am surprised by the use of あれ. I have also found Google examples of ”これ気” and ”それ気”, but can't understand why it's not simply こんな気/そんな気/あんな気, or perhaps こ(そ/あ)れみたいな気 (in order to be grammatically correct). Is the usage of こ/そ/あれ common?
  5. Tonky Senior Member

Hmm, where did you see this? Can you give some more context?
    As for あの, 例の, 例のあの comparison, I've never thought of the difference before. Give me some time or wait for someone else's reply :p
  6. Tonky Senior Member

It is a casual slang and forcing it to be a na-adjective to modify 気 here. I think this usage is still rather recent. I mean, I don't think my parents used this at all. I don't know why but I never hear こ/そ/あんな気 or みたいな気, as of yet. My guess is that アレ itself is considered an independent "new" word to mean differently from the original あれ, so it needs to be na-adjective to show the effect of what it should mean, just like when we use loandwords.
  7. YangMuye

YangMuye Senior Member

Sorry, I just picked an example randomly, without realizing it was not actually used.

But あのブツ and 例のブツ are often heard.
  8. lrosa Senior Member

English - Ireland
    That's interesting to hear - thanks!
  9. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Haven't you ever heard アレなので?
    You're going to give a presentation. But you want to make the presentation shorter.
    You suggest that if your presentation is lengthy, you think it won't work well or be annoying. You want to avoid mentioning directly by using アレ. If I rewrite this one: あまり長くなってもよくないので、ほどほどが良いです。

In this case as well, アレ is suggesting a negative effect by using なう too much. The writer says なう might be getting older. Using なう too much might lead your comment to sound old/uncool. And the writer avoids direct mention, making it obscure. 気がする? is just 'I feel like', rather than declarative one アレなので.
  10. lrosa Senior Member

English - Ireland
    Thanks Frequency, it's interesting that the meaning of アレ in your example is similar to that of the OP's sentence. But I wonder, does this kind of アレ have a fixed meaning (i.e. to indirectly refer to something negative)? Or could it literally refer to any thing/concept (under the condition that the thing/concept referred to is obvious to both the speaker and the listener)?

Just to pick one example from a Google search for ”だとあれですね”: このままだとあれですね (from http://yaplog.jp/hamutoarashi/archive/316)

Is it possible to tell just from this sentence what the meaning of あれ is, or is it necessary to have more context? I get the feeling that あれ could refer to something very specific, but am I wrong? Does it just refer to a general concept of あれ? Or is it even possible to know without more context?
  11. Tonky Senior Member

Okay, I could not really find anything good enough for "differences".
    あの - the ~, that ~, the one you know
    例の - the one we have been talking about/dealing with repeatedly
    例のあの - combination of the above two, that one you know that we have been talking about/dealing with repeatedly
    How is this?
    例の indicates that the speaker and the listener both have a shared and repeated experience regarding the stuff (either talking about it or dealing with it).

By the way, it seems 「例のアレ」 is one of the current booming? terms in Japanese sub-culture or at least on internet. According to a few pages talking about 例のアレ, it means (or it is supposed to mean) "something/someone which is very hot and popular now". (Mostly, I think this term is only to gather attentions from as many people as possible by making us wonder "what is it?" and click and check... It gives you an impression that you should know and make you feel behind for not knowing about it.)

lrosa, アレ can be many things and you almost always need context.
    For example, "アレもってる?" is not always asking if you have something you shouldn't have, but something you are embarrassed to mention yet you should have, e.g. girl's only stuff.
    Some people often say あれ too, not because embarrassed but because they cannot remember what it is called or too lazy to try and mention it. An old married couple often do (or used to do) this, a husband says, "あれ" and his wife knows what he wants or vice versa, but nobody else understand their conversation. (In this case, it is not na-adjective.)
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  12. lrosa Senior Member

English - Ireland
    Thanks for the clarification, Tonky - it seems like a very handy word!
  13. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Not wrong. OK. Negative effect isn't always.

アレ(なので) is used to omit a detail, avoid repetition, or avoid direct mention. These three work similarly, don't you think? In the OP and mine, two of アレ are as well omitting details that are negative effects. When trying to find what the details are, they happen to be negative effects. Sorry for misleading. Negative effect hence omission? I can't say yes.

あれ(アレ) in your case is yes, pointing something specific using it thereby omitting a detail, vice versa. As long as omitting by using it, the detail is perhaps understandable, imaginable between people there due to conversation flow or common experience we share.
  14. YangMuye

YangMuye Senior Member

Thank you, Tonky. I have the same feeling.
    例の sounds like something the speaker has mentioned before or I have dealt with before, but not necessarily repeatedly.
    So 例の is a kind of あの.
  15. Tonky Senior Member

I wrote repeatedly, because you do make it "例" by repeating it indeed ;)
    Maybe just one time mentioning very strongly could make 例 too for some people, but it may vary to each person's experience. I'd at least mention it more than twice to start calling something "例の". Fortunately, I do not have anything to call 例の for now :) It does have an implication of secrecy.

In a detective anime "Case Closed/名探偵コナン", They often use 例の and あの like below.

-the medicine, APTX4869, that made two main characters into elementary students, used by the main character, Conan (and fans)
    -"the cool kid", Conan, who often appears intervening the black organization work. used by the members of the organization, FBI, and Japanese police in the beginning.

-the mysterious boss of the black organization, that has not been revealed to the audience yet. All members of the organization mention him as "あの方" but never call him "例の方". (I suppose あの could show some respect while 例の doesn't. Same with なた for "you" in polite form.) Interestingly fans of this anime talk about him as "例の人", "例のボス", or "例のあの人".

If Harry Potter series were written in Japanese (not just translation, I mean), I'm sure Voldemort would have been called あの方 by his followers, but 例のヤツ/例のアイツ by Harry and his friends.
    (I have not read its Japanese translation, but it seems "You-know-who" is translated as "例のあの人")
  16. YangMuye

YangMuye Senior Member

Thank you for your explanation, Tonky-san.
    I saw this word in another detective anime 神様のメモ帳, but I didn't realize it has an implication of secrecy when I heard it.
  17. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Are is often written in katakana as in アレな on the 'Net. It's used with mild condescension.