1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  2. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

Updated: We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but new questions will only appear after a few minutes delat.

ㅈ vs ス

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by kggckggc, Mar 1, 2014.

1. kggckggc New Member

Bulgarian-Bulgaria
    The first letter in the first combination seems like the Japanese ス, but I have never seen it. It does not seem to be a variant of ㅈ. If it is a variant, then when is ス used, and when is ㅈ? The same problem exists as far as ㅊ is concerned. The lower part sometimes changes to ス。

Attached Files:

2. Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    A good question. I have never thought about it before. I am not sure if there are some rules governing this issue. For me, both are okay, but I have been using only ス ever since the childhood because this is an easier and faster means to write down it. The same choice goes to the second question.

3. alohaoe Junior Member

They are same and much like in English writing a and ɑ.

The formal written form is ㅈ and you may see ㅈ only in any printed forms.(books, computers, papers etc)
    But in handwriting you may see ス only. People seldom or never use ㅈ in handwriting unless they are writing it on purpose like when making a poster or making their writings look printed.

Therefore there's no way to write ス in Hangul on a computer(a special font may have it, though). ス is actually a Japanese alphabet sounding like 'su' and only has a similar shape to Korean handwriting of ㅈ by accident. ^^;

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014