1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

一またぎする位の無雑作で

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by 274, Nov 16, 2013.

1. 274 New Member

english
    I'm reading Kanikousen by takiji kobayashi and I came to this sentence: 波は丸太棒の上でも一またぎする位の無雑作で、船の片側から他の側へ暴力団のようにあばれ込んできて、流れ出て行った. I understand the part about the waves are washing over wooden logs and rushing from one side of the ship to the other like a band of thugs but I'm completely thrown by "一またぎする位の無雑作で". Any help, particularly from a native speaker, would be greatly appreciated.

2. Yoichi_f Junior Member

Kobe, Japan
    Japanese
    I don't think wooden logs are really on the deck. They are in the imagination of the narrator/author. When you walk over an obstacle, you may not always notice what it is, particularly when it is not a big one. You stride over("またぐ")easily("無造作に"), almost unconsciously. The author describes the overwhelming power and the size of wave washing the deck by personifying it as a man walking over a log easily.

"一またぎ" means "one stride over".
    "~する位の無造作で" means "as easily as if..."

3. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    May be a bit redundant after the post above, but my explanation here.
    波は、{丸太棒の上でも一またぎする}位の無雑作で~
    It is describing how casually this anthropomorphised giant wave(s) had stepped over the ship as if the ship were just a simple log.
    でも is used instead of を (丸太棒の上を一跨ぎする), meaning something like "even" in English; showing a simile of how the writer saw the wave treating this ship something not of a value/significance to be bothered, such as a log. またぐ is "to stride over", "step over" or "walk over" as the above post says, whatever fits best in English, I would say "一またぎ" here "by one step", another sign of showing its casualness.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013