1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

不要吃我豆腐...妳真三八

本文由 yuehmaoping2011-10-08 发表於 "中文+方言 (Chinese)" 讨论区

1. yuehmaoping Junior Member

Chinese
    How do we say 不要吃我豆腐and妳真三八in English? Thank you so much.

Sincerely,
    Yuehmaoping

2. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    I would translate them as the following but there are other possibilities, especially when they're in proper contexts:

不要吃我豆腐: Don't try to take advantage of me!
    妳真三八: You're a real bitch!

(Is this a dialogue you had with someone? ;))

PS: You can translate 妳真三八 above as "Don't be silly!", if the tone of the original is not serious.

Last edited: 2011-10-08
  3. yuehmaoping Junior Member

Chinese
    Hi, xiaolijie, I got it. Thanks a lot.

yuehmaoping

4. MèngDié Senior Member

不要吃我豆腐 is telling someone not to take advantage of me, but specifically in a sexual way, as in inappropriate touches etc. However, the accusation is not very serious in Chinese, and sometimes said in a joking manner. I would translate it as "Don't harasse me!", "Get your hands off me!" etc., but understand that the Chinese expression is softer.

妳真三八: 三八 I think refers to someone who is nosy and likes to gossip, although in recent years it may have become an all-encompassing word such as the "b" word in English, I don't know. In its original meaning, I would translate it as "You are such a busybody", "You are so gossipy", etc. Maybe there are more colloquial ways of rendering this?

5. viajero_canjeado Senior Member

Georgia
    English - Southeastern USA
    在我所聽到的語境中,它好像比較接近英語的airhead吧。就是,有點笨笨的樣子,也有可能是故意的行為(但不一定)。

6. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    I think the usage of this phrase may be different depending on where you are. My example "Don't be silly!" is similar to what vc was saying.

7. yuehmaoping Junior Member

Chinese
    Thank you for your insightful explanations.

8. yuehmaoping Junior Member

Chinese
    Thank you for your good idea.

分享此页面