1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

中国元 Chinese Yuan

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by foxtrott, Feb 14, 2013.

1. foxtrott New Member

slovenian
    Hi,

I'm doing some signage design with a font made specifically for this purpose. There are some words in languages other than english, but I didn't want to use generic fonts because it wouldn't fit nicely with the english signs.
    In the end, I drew the signs, immitating the pictures of words. Please let me know if the chinese is right and if it's easy to read.

Thank you in advance!

Asia_test-10.jpg

2. baosheng Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    I am not a native speaker, but I find the Chinese one looks very legible..

3. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    It's a nice design and the Chinese characters look fine to me but if you need to be perfect, I'd suggest changing a bit of the middle character . Do you see the three horizontal strokes inside the surround of the character? You'll also see that the top and middle strokes are not touching the surround of the character. Now shorten the right side of the bottom stroke so that it doesn't touch the surround of the character either. The end result is to make sure the inside part does not touch the surround of the character. The job is then done! :thumbsup: :)

4. foxtrott New Member

slovenian
    Thank you so much for the reply! I fixed the character, very glad everything is ok. If you are ever in Ljubljana, Slovenia, you're very welcome to sleep in the new hostel Tresor ;)

5. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    Some Chinese economists are advising to use 中国元 as the Chinese name for the Chinese currency. But for now, its name is 人民币

6. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    Youngfun is correct, but giving the fact that Chinese people understand 中国元 without the slightest problem, I don't think it's worth the trouble going so far as redesigning the sign with 人民币. It'd be a lot of work for someone without a background in Chinese to design 人民币 correctly and in good style.

7. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    Yeah, but 中国元 sounds weird. It would sound like "American bucks", "British quids". :D

8. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    I suppose it's a direct translation from "Chinese Yuan", but in its favour, it follows the same pattern for all currencies on the list. Take the Japanese sign "日本円" (Japanese Yen): Japanese don't say this but it would definitely look odd to put on the list what Japanese actually say: "円" :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013