1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

中華民國十七年

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by occlith, Jul 8, 2013.

1. occlith

occlith Senior Member

USA
    English - USA
    Hello all,
    Does anyone know the language on this coin, what it a states and possibly the identity of the person depicted.
    Thank you. :)

unknown coin

2. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    It is a Taiwanese one-dollar coin. The person is Chiang Kai-Shek. You can find more info here in Wikipedia.

3. Daffodil100

Daffodil100 Senior Member

Chinese
    It was a Chinese coin.

In the first picture, it is inscribed the 17th Year of Republic of China, which was founded by Sun Yat-sen on Jan. 1, 1912. Under his leadership, Chinese people overthrew the last monarchy -Qing Dynasty. The figure of the man was Chiang Kai-Shek. He was an underling of Sun's. After Sun died, he came into power and ruled the whole China, both the mainlandand Taiwan before 1949. The 17th Year of Republic of China refers to 1929 (12+17=29). The People's Republic of China was found in 1949. There, it wa not a Taiwanese coin, but Chinese one. Before 1949, the government of Republic of China was the legitimate in the mainland of China.

Chiang fled to Taiwan after he lost his battle with the Communist Party of China during civil war.

In the second picture, it is inscribed 1 Yuan. (Yuan is a unit of Chinese currency both in Taiwan, and the mainland.) Both the mainland and Taiwan issue their currency respectively nowadays.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  4. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    I still think it is a recent Taiwanese coin (I mean after Republic of China after 1949). Based on what I've found, this coin design was first minted in 1981 by Taiwan Bank. The inscription "the 17th year..." exists on all the coins of this design. I assume it refers something else, related to Chiang Kai-Shek (his baptism was in 1929, and his ascension to China's leadership in Oct 1928).

5. Daffodil100

Daffodil100 Senior Member

Chinese
    I stand corrected. I had thought it referred to the year when it was minted. After doing some desk research, it is said in 1928 there's no image of Chiang on coins then.

6. occlith

occlith Senior Member

USA
    English - USA
    Interesting. Thanks for the replies.

7. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    No, it says "70 year", and it refers to the year of the coin, 1981. The "year of the Republic" is the normal Western/AD year minus 1911 (because 1912 was "year 1").

See here:
    Minguo calendar

As far as I know, this NT$1 coin is still in circulation in Taiwan. It is worth about 3 cents.