Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by wishonatrish, Sep 18, 2013.

1. wishonatrish Junior Member

I think I may not fully understand the meaning of the word "猛". I thought it means "fierce"/"brazen"/"bold"/"daring", but I became very confused after this conversation about what "猛" actually means. :-/

他:额。。。你在怀疑么? :/
    我:哈哈好啦猛一点 ~.~

我:我懂了! ----- [side note: 说实话,我约查约糊涂。]

I am totally confused! What does "猛" mean?
  2. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

English (UK)
    In this passage, the meaning of "猛"seems to be in the last sentence. Think about the last sentence...
    (Don't ;))
  3. wishonatrish Junior Member

Are you serious?!?!?!?! :eek:
  4. Hihowareyou Junior Member

5. Ben pan Senior Member

猛 in Chinese is a very popular word, expecially today. Though it may have bad connotation, we shall not be afraid to use it. So many word, in Chinese, as in English, can be connected with sex, if we aviod to use all of them, it will be a great loss.

I personally like “猛”. The most frequent uses of 猛 in modern Chinese: 他太猛了,跑了第一名。他太猛了, 敢当众骂老师。他太猛了,连续几天都不睡觉。
    In this contexts, nobody will think your words in the direction of sex.
  6. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

"You are really 'strong'! Seriously powerful!" Of course, under certain scenario, it can refer to some guy is great in sex.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  7. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Mandarin 國語
    猛, which contains a 犭"dog" radical and originally means "strong dog" in ancient times, has a connotation, that is, "bestial, brutish, like an animal". 一粒猛 "One pill a day makes you an animal in bed" is a slogan of certain pharmaceutical drug commercials.
    Interestingly, we may say something like "He is an animal, running to the first place" in English. 好猛哦 "Animal, dude!"
  8. Ghabi

Ghabi Moderator

Hong Kong
    Hello! Is it a Cantonese loanword (due to the influence of HK movies once very popular in the 1980s) or is it a time-honored usage in Mandarin? Do older people also use it or is it part of the youth slang?
  9. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

I think it's hard to tell whether the word is a loan or not, or from where to where, since the connection within "strong" and "beast" is pretty universal to all human-beings. It won't be a surprise if we find counterparts in different languages and dialects, even in different ages.
    For example, although my Mandarin-speaking parents probably won't say 他真猛!跑了第一! They do say 他是咱們的猛將/他拼得很猛/用力過猛, and do write the word 勇猛.
  10. Ghabi

Ghabi Moderator

Hong Kong
    Thanks! So it's practically used like 牛 (他真猛=他真牛)? In Cantonese one often say 猛人 (often with "underground" connotation); is it also used in Mandarin (=牛人)?
  11. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

English (UK)
    But don't forget that the OP asked for the meaning of the word as used in the context she gave. The meaning intended there is what she needs to be told.
  12. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

Yes. Besides 真猛, Mandarin speaker also say 猛人=牛人~
  13. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

English (UK)
    I got a question about some nuances of this word :)

What can 猛 possibly mean when speaking about driving a car? If this word is used when talking about someone's driving, would it be a criticism or a compliment? And would 真猛 be taken as meaning the opposite of 太猛了 ?
  14. Ghabi

Ghabi Moderator

Hong Kong
    Thanks again! In Cantonese 猛 also has the special meaning of "haunted by ghosts"; I suppose we can't use the word this way in Mandarin, can we? For example,

-聽講話間屋好猛 "They say the house is haunted."
    -日光日白邊有咁猛呀 "There can surely be no ghosts in broad daylight!?"

How would these be said in Mandarin?
  15. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

It depends... You have to consider the situation, and who is using the word...
    It can either mean: “You shouldn't drive so fast” or “You are driving so fast! Super cool, man!”

Why would 真猛 be taken as meaning the opposite of 太猛了? They have a same meaning.
  16. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

Yes. This is why Mandarin speakers usually can't understand well the names of some Hong Kong horror films.
    I can't think of any good adjective for "haunted" in Mandarin. A close one is 凶, as in 凶宅. But most time, people only use 鬧鬼. e.g. 聽說那間屋子鬧鬼鬧得厲害。 or 鬧鬼鬧得很凶。 or 經常鬧鬼。
    Dull, huh? :( The words should be more 猛.
  17. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

English (UK)
    Thanks SuperXW! It was a girl to a male driver. I'm still not sure whether it was to encourage the driver or to tell him to slow down :).

It was just out of my English speaking habit of associating "太 / too" with the negative. Yes, 太 can also be used positively.
  18. Loafaway

Loafaway Junior Member

Mt. Jade, Taiwan
    Hi wish-on-a-trish,
    I’d think “猛” /mĕng/ can rhyme (an alliteration though) with “macho” in the mentioned context.
    Atom (the indivisible) 2013-09-20
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  19. BODYholic Senior Member

Chinese Cantonese
    For us (Cantonese speakers in Singapore & Malaysia), we normally take it as a criticism. Instead, we use "劲" ("勁" ) for compliment.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  20. miltonese

miltonese Junior Member

last sentence, 猛 means being great on bed...

Except on that context,
    猛 in everyday in my views, we can interpret it as amazing.

他太猛了,跑了第一名 >> he's amazing, he won.
  21. Hey,dude
    you know,I just registered an account for answer your this question.
    like in English - you got balls!. equal 你好猛啊!
    and this translation basiclly works for every case.

I mean,don't struggling in how to translate each word man,
    hope this helps.

PS:I am also not a good English user,hope you can understand me.
  22. 我为英语狂 Junior Member

When we use “猛” to modify a man, like in the word “猛男”, we mean the man is muscular and very hot, and usually we associate him with sex—he is good in bed.
    The word “猛男” can be translated into “hunk”in English.

On other occasions, “猛” can be used to describe someone who is good at something.
    For example: “他学习成绩好猛” means he is very good at his studies or he is very academic. In this sense, “猛” can be used to describe a man or a woman.

In both senses, “猛” is very informal and is mainly used in conversations.