1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

你是住在XX路吗 / 你住在XX路吗

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by quitecool, Apr 3, 2013.

1. quitecool New Member

English
    Is it ok to add 是 into the following? Or is it simply wrong?

你是住在XX路吗?

你住在XX路吗?

And also, is the use of 在 ok too? Or is it considered wrong?

你住在XX路吗?

vs

你住XX路吗?

Thanks! These little things have been bugging me!

2. darrenhg New Member

Peking
    Mandarin
    all of three are right ones,in written or spoken,but there are some little diffs.
    你是住在XX路吗?---> 是 means “emphasized in asking” and ,to speak it slowly,would be more plite,or
    tender?
    你住在XX路吗?-----> 在 means “
    emphasized in site,location
    你住XX路吗? ---->

3. tarlou Senior Member

Chinese
    To me,
    你是住在xx路吗 is more like "Is it true that you are living on xx road?",
    你住xx路吗 is less serious, like "you live on xx road?"

They are all correct (also 你是住xx路吗, which you didn't mention). In fact the differences are not so clear and may largely depend on the intonation.

4. BODYholic Senior Member

Singapore
    Chinese Cantonese
    Technically speaking, 在 is needed for 住 which is an intransitive verb. I reckon it can hardly cause any confusion even if the preposition is conveniently omitted. So it makes sense for people do drop it in day-to-day conversations. Another example is the infamous 睡地上 vs 睡在地上.

But 你住在XX路吗? or 你住XX路吗?, are you asking if the person is sleeping at the roadside of XX路? :D

5. Dragonseed Senior Member

Taiwan
    France - French
    Regarding the question of "with or without 是", see if the following is useful...

Whenever I need to explain the role and nature of 是, I say that it is equivalent to the sign "=".
    and my usual example:
    這朵花很紅
    這朵花是(很)紅
    and not
    */ 這朵花是紅 /* because the flower and the color red are not the same thing (=)

So strictly speaking, you should probably say "你是住在XX路吗?", but I think the 的 is often omitted...

The second structure insist on this characteristic, rather than another one.
    In your case, "
    你是住在XX路(的)吗?" is almost "you are actually living on XX road?", as opposed to "你住在XX路吗?" where you simply inquire if this person lives there.

This is my understanding as a non-native speaker but with a few years of study and practice. Happy to be corrected if needed! :)

6. SuperXW Senior Member

Actually, I think there are more subtle differences in your examples. The analysis would be quite complicated for non-professionals. Usually people won't need to know it. Just memorize the sentences would do.

If you are really interested, you can read my following explanations.

这朵花是红 can't stand alone just like what you've pointed out. This is "subject - adjective" format. 这朵花是红吗? is also wrong.
    But 我是住在xx路 can stand alone. This is "subject - verb" format. 你是住在xx路吗? is also correct.
    这朵花是红的。 是 only leads description. The sign "=" can't apply here either.
    我是住在xx路的。 是 and 的 are added for emphasizing and confirmation. "=" can't apply here either.
    我是住在xx路。 is still correct if 是 is for emphasizing.
    Even 这朵花是红 can be right under the case of 这朵花是红,红得像团火一样。or 这朵花是红,不过没那朵花好看。 是 is for emphasizing.

So, 是 means "=" only works in some of the cases, but not all.
    But I think this trick may work well on some beginners, when they always think 是 is equal to verb to be, adding too many unnecessary 是...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  7. Dragonseed Senior Member

Taiwan
    France - French
    I see, thanks!

It helped me when I started to learn, and needed a lot of "logic" to support my learning (native French speaker, I am used to look at a language's grammar as if it were math!).