1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

你是故意的 / 你是有意的

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by scriptboss, Apr 2, 2014.

1. scriptboss New Member

french
    english
    你好!
    这两句的意思是一致的吗?不很懂。
    -》This is consistent with the meaning of two right?Do not understand。

2. SuperXW Senior Member

In most cases, they means the same.
    Unless in a less possible scenario, people occasionally say something like: 你对她是有意的 to mean 有情意 (have affection, have romantic feeling toward somebody). A famous poetic quote reads: 落花有意,流水无情.

3. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin 國語
    有意 is more like "with intent, with the intention of" (e.g., 她有意教我 She intended to teach me) while 故意 "on purpose" (e.g., 她故意教我 She taught me on purpose).

4. ellecelia New Member

Chengdu, China
    Chinese
    the meaning is the same. However in daily life, we speak 你是故意的吧? rarely say 有意的, because 有意has other meanings

5. nl428 New Member

Southampton, England
    Chinese - China
    Most time, when we say someone 故意 does something, we mean s/he does it with bad(not that bad) purpose, and may hurt someone else.

BTW, we don't say 有意 in oral chinese. And another word which has similar meaning with 故意 is 成心(not 诚心), this one may have worse purpose than 故意. I'm not sure whether I've expressed clearly:)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  6. April.Rebecca New Member

Chinese-China
    I think '有意' is a little more serious than '故意'

7. electricusa New Member

English-United States
    for 故意 vs 成心, 成心has a more negative connotation (which is what nl428 said but just to be more clear) ie you could said 成心骗人,but not成心帮忙,correct me if i'm wrong

8. nl428 New Member

Southampton, England
    Chinese - China
    A good example can be helpful: )

9. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin 國語
    你有意讓我出醜 You intended to make me look stupid (有 = have; 意 = intent)
    你故意讓我出醜 You made me look stupid on purpose (故 = excuse; 意 = intent; 故意 entails an excuse--One does something to hide his true intent ==> The true intent is to make someone look stupid although it is all done as if by accident).
    你存心讓我出醜 You nurtured a scheme to make me look stupid (存 = store; 心 = scheme).
    你成心讓我出醜 You set your mind to make me look stupid (成 = set up; 心 = mind).